UKC

Night walking head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 05 Sep 2011
Hi.
Thinking I will need a really powerful headtorch for some late evening / early night hill walking as the winter kicks in. Any recommendations (something more powerful than your average petzl - which I have). Should be capable of throwing a good beam a fair distance for route checking.
 Dave80 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus: In the past I've used a petzl zoom with halogin bulb and also a petzl myo 3 for full blown night nav and found both to be fine. The advantage of the myo was that you can use the LEDs to conserve battery power and then just switch to the main bulb if you want to see further afield and you also don't get dazzled by the halogin reflection off your map. When I was using the zoom I ended up carrying a tikka as well for general use and then swapping over to the zoom with halogin when neccessary.

Also, one word of advice, if you're out on your own, carry a small lightweight spare torch as well for changing batteries by as otherwise you can guarentee you'll end up fumbling around in the dark trying to change a battery you were sure was fresh and had plenty of life in it.....
 More-On 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus: Many good ones out there, but I'd recommend the Princeton Tec Apex. Does all the things you want, takes lithium batteries and the buttons are big enough to use easily with thick gloves on (unlike the others I've tried).
In reply to Flinticus:

Hope Vison 2 - on the lowest setting you get up to 20 hours of usage per charge. Slightly heavier than most headtorches but you can put the battery in your pocket as it comes with everything you need including an extension cable. Seems to be pretty standard kit round here for fell-runners.

Biggest downside? The price!

ALC
 Thelongcon 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:
I think retro handheld flame-lanterns are the next (re)big thing. Failing that, the Black Diamond Storm is amazingly bright. Also has a dim function to save batteries when they aren't needed. That being said, some of the lanterns have a piece of iron you can put over the flame to dim it out.
 stewieatb 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

I'm totally getting a Davey Lamp for next winter.
 ScraggyGoat 05 Sep 2011
In reply to stewieatb:
If you don't want to spend on a Hope vision 2, I am very happy with the light from a Hope Vision 1. Note I don't run, just walk.

Down side is the weight of the battery box on the head, think old style petzl gloom. If I was buying again I'd consider one of these:

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-hp20-head-torch.html

As its completely waterproof and the battery compartment is remote allowing you to put it in a pocket.
 summitjunkie 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus: I use a Led Lenser H7 for night nav and epics. Fully adjustable power output, pinpoint/wide beam selection and very reasonable battery life. It's a cracking piece of kit. Two of my mates on seeing mine also dumped their petzls for Led Lenser H7s.
 Banned User 77 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus: I'm getting sick of MyoXp's now, had another one fail. Not sure I can take the risk as I normally don't carry a spare, thankfully the wiring has all failed on turning on, but when actually needed on the hill.

Always been my recommendation but going against them now.
OP Flinticus 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:
Lots of good options & rule out the davey lamp straight away (unless they do a titanium version)

Seems money buys lumens. Now to dither for ages until a sale forces me to go for one or the other.
ice.solo 06 Sep 2011
In reply to IainRUK:

agree. myos are junk.

for serious lighting try and find a petzl ultra - 350 sweet sweet lumens. have used them for emergency work and an amazing amount of light. but heavy and really expensive.
 RobertKett 06 Sep 2011
In reply to ice.solo:
My Myo has failed after I'd dropped it (accidentally, I wasn't testing it). Thought I'd been unlucky.

This on Needle Sports website, 'This torch has been updated to solve a connection problem where the wiring enters the torch housing.'

Are they still prone to failure? I'd be interested in your (and other) opinions.

Ironically, I chose the Myo in preference to the BD Icon, as I thought it seemed more robust (shows how much I know).
 DreadyCraig 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:
I'm suprised nobody has suggested the Alpkit Gamma. Cheap as chips but fantastic value for money. I love mine
ice.solo 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Rick Benifer:

last year i was in a place that was really cold, so me and a few others had brought along the myo belt version.

all 3 fizzled out within 2 weeks, amidst sniggers from others there whod already been thru the experience.

to be fair, one was got going again with some fiddling with the battery cord connection. but still.

it doesnt seem to be other petzl headtorches. i also have a zipka thats been really good.
maybe too we had a bad run, and the belt is more prone to problems anyway with the dangly cord.
WMB 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:

LED Lenser H7 or the H7R. The bloke who runs this site did a deal for the rescue team:

http://www.originaloutdoorgear.co.uk/illumination/headtorches/led-lenser-h7...
OP Flinticus 07 Sep 2011
The lenser seems to be winning the race. Not the brightest but good value. A decision maybe reached sooner than expected.
 The Lemming 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:

Never had a problem with my Xp Myo, which I've had for 7 years.

I've also bought a hand held torch with a 100 meter beam for work.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Led-Lenser-7456-M-Frogman-Torch/dp/B001AAGCSS

One chap I know has duct-taped two of these babies to a climber's helmet. He uses it for diving though.
 existing debt 07 Sep 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42206

or something like this

On half power its still more usefull then most head torches, 200 odd lumens on full power for those 'whats that' moments

Pretty solid construction, all seeled, so no worries about water damage, no external cables to go wrong..

Im sure you could fashion a head strap with a bit of imagination

£64, cheap as chips!!

Paul

existing debt 07 Sep 2011
In reply to existing debt:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46809

there you go, they even do a head band for £9

If you go for the 2012 model, its got 255 lumens on max, more than enough for a night walk

Paul
 MHutch 07 Sep 2011
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to Rick Benifer)
>
> last year i was in a place that was really cold, so me and a few others had brought along the myo belt version.
>
> all 3 fizzled out within 2 weeks, amidst sniggers from others there whod already been thru the experience.
>
> to be fair, one was got going again with some fiddling with the battery cord connection. but still.
>
> it doesnt seem to be other petzl headtorches. i also have a zipka thats been really good.
> maybe too we had a bad run, and the belt is more prone to problems anyway with the dangly cord.

I've got a Zipka which is thoroughly unreliable - flickers or just plain refuses to work. Can't say I'll be rushing to buy a Petzl again.
 CurlyStevo 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:
I think the tikka XP will be perfect for your needs and more than bright enough. Advantages of being small, light, very robust (users seem to have more issues with the MYO range breaking IMO) and also cheaper than the MYO.
levon 07 Sep 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
> (In reply to Flinticus)
> I'm suprised nobody has suggested the Alpkit Gamma. Cheap as chips but fantastic value for money. I love mine

I love my Alpkit Gamma too, it is a fantastic head torch and cheap as chips, but better than previous petzl models I've owned at 3 or 4 times the price. Plenty bright enough for night time walking too.

On the other hand an Exposure light (as I have for my bike) is brilliant if money is no object, but I don't generally walk at ~20mph so whether you need that level of illumination for a night time walk?
OP Flinticus 07 Sep 2011
The illumination would be required to work out route ahead not for immediate surroundings: scenario would be hillwalking (not climbing) in Scotland on unfamilar ground and I like to know what route possibilities would lie 100m ahead if possible, before commiting to a direction, e.g. impassable crags, cliff, river.

The price of the gamma is excellent though and I've got other Alpkit stuff that's been really good. Could be good for by bike helmet.
OP Flinticus 08 Sep 2011
Well, got the Led Lenser H7R (and recharger) from Torch Direct. Great service: no postage cost and arrived the next day, along with 5 free mini-keyring torches. Was available a bit cheaper elsewhere (not by much when you added in other site's postage fees) but Torch Direct came with along of recommendations for service.

Will hopefully get to use it next week.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...