UKC

High altitude sleeping bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 squicky 10 Oct 2011
Is it best to have a sleeping bag rated to the sorts of temperatures you're likely to face, so -50 degrees if that's what you're up against, or to get a lighter bag and sleep in your down clothes?

I can't imagine it makes much sense to completely undress in your tent up high and you can save bit of weight by having a smaller bag. I'm planning to go to Aconcagua and then the Pamirs next summer btw.

Thanks.
ice.solo 10 Oct 2011
In reply to squicky:

-20 rated bag (or two bags rated to about -15 and -5) and sleep in the your gear.

it wont be anywhere near -50.
 Bloodfire 10 Oct 2011
In reply to squicky:

I have a bag that goes down to -25. I figure anywhere in the world I go that will be that cold, I'll definitely have my down jacket and fleeces etc so I can adjust the temperature accordingly. I find it makes my whole sleeping system more versitile.

eschaton 10 Oct 2011
In reply to squicky: sleeping bags designed for that temperature will be much more efficient than the clothing you have at keeping you warm, so ideally you would be sleeping in a thin thermal layer that allows heat to reach the sleeping bag in order for it to reflect back to you, instead of being 'trapped' inside your insulated or down clothing.

if it gets desperate then you might find yourself hurriedly donning everything you've got whilst inside your bag.

most high altitude/lower temperature bags are actually cut wider so as to accomodate putting on/removal of clothes as well as actually wearing them inside.
 Sir Chasm 10 Oct 2011
In reply to eschaton: Yes, it's horrible when heat gets trapped inside your clothing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...