UKC

DIY rubber boot rand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 06 Nov 2011
While I'm very happy with my Scarpa SLs I bought a year ago, I'm feeling a bit of buyers remorse after seeing the new SL Activs; a rubber rand is the only thing I thought could improve the original model, and it seems Scarpa thought this as well.

The leather over the toe box on my boots is getting pretty chewed up already with some pretty big chunks taken out of it. Maybe I'm just a clumsy git, but if this is what they are like after 12 months of not particularly frequent use, I don't what they be like in a few years time (probably leaking quite a bit?).

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make some sort of protective rand over the toe box to extend the life of the leather? I had an idea of an old bike inner tube and some strong glue, but I'm pretty sure that would be peeling and catching on stuff pretty quickly, and I'm not sure forming the tube to the shape of the boot would be possible in the first place.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears.
 sbc_10 06 Nov 2011
In reply to MarkDH08:

See if any UKC members have an old pair of Yeti gaiters that may have perished in other areas and are not economical to repair. They probably don't have to be the same size. The later versions did have a rubber 'toe-cap' that could be cobbled (sorry!) and glued into a useful barrier.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-mens-yeti-extrem-gaiters-p130264

Make a good job because you do end up looking at your boots for many hours on approaches, and if there was something you could have done better.......
 Sharp 06 Nov 2011
In reply to MarkDH08: recently tried to mend an ancient pair of trainers with a bike inner tube and glue. You'd be perfectly right in thinking it would be a waste of time.

Ben
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Nov 2011
In reply to MarkDH08:

Ask a pro - take it to a cobblers?

Chris
OP Taurig 06 Nov 2011
In reply to LJC:

Brilliant, hadn't seen that! Cheers for the other replies as well, the old Yeti gaiter is a good idea as too.
 Richard Carter 06 Nov 2011
In reply to MarkDH08:

Sugru?

(google it!)
 jonnie3430 07 Nov 2011
In reply to LJC:

I was going to recommend their seam sealant, but will have to check this out. I fancy rubber rands around my trainers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...