UKC

What does the adidas - Five Ten buyout mean for climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 08 Nov 2011
What does the adidas - Five Ten buyout mean for climbers?

Stealth rubber on adidas' Terrex Fast approach shoes?

Article at Outside magazine

"We're not cheapening the brand, it's going to stay a high-end specialty brand," he says. According to Cole, Five Ten will continue to manufacture its rock and approach shoes, like the Guide Tennie, in its U.S. factory in Redlands, California. In an email, adidas spokesperson Katja Schreiber confirmed that it planned to keep the Five Ten brand intact. Cole will remain in charge, but will now report to adidas Outdoor's Senior Vice President Rolf Reinschmidt.

Five Ten will, however, likely cut the number of models of climbing shoes it offers. "[Adidas] didn't think we had enough bike shoes, maybe too many of certain kinds of rock shoes. So we're going to even out the product line," Cole says, though he adds that the company probably would have made similar changes anyway, had the buyout not occurred.

One change climbers can look forward to is increased availability of popular shoes like the Guide Tennie. "When we get in an order of Guide Tennies, they're usually sold out within a week to two weeks," says Nancy Prichard Bouchard, Five Ten's director of communication and sponsorship. She and Cole believe that the buyout will let them increase production and avoid shortages.

http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/what-does-the-adidas-five-ten-buyout-mean...
 Hay 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
In terms of rockshoes, the 5.10 range has spiralled out of control recently with lots of 'esoteric' additions (Team, Hornet etc) and their pricing is getting out of step too.
Not quite sure why they can't relate their Guide Tennie philosophy into rokshoes - the 'classics' here are Pinks, VCS, Dragons and Newtons yet they seem to overlook them for horrible new lines like the Arrowhead. A re-issued Pink would sell out - I have no doubt of that.
 HeMa 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Hay:
> A re-issued Pink would sell out - I have no doubt of that.

Pink with a proper heel and a tad more curved toe = Quantum. And atleast for me feet, it is much better than the pink anazasi.

Wft 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Hay: The current anasazi whites are an updated version of the pinks I think?

On topic - If they slimmed the range down to Velcros, Dragons and Whites I reckon this would cover just about every rock climbing style, for me at least. Actually, just the velcro is different stages of wear and fit would cover all situations for me.
In reply to GuyVG: In theory, yes they are. But Whites are a bit stiffer than the pinks which are a sort of perfect midway between greens and whites.

I think they would also need to include moccasyms for the crack climbers and maybe a few others like including entry level shoes.

Dunc
In reply to Hay:

The Team are in no way an esoteric shoe being a replacment for the V10 with a velcro strap to keep the heel tight.

I'd agree they could narrow the range down somewhat though and hopefully improve build quality (better glue and pull tabs for example)
It was when they released a shoe called the 'Cool Hwip' that 5.10 finally jumped the shark.

Don't get me wrong. Family Guy is among my favourite post-pub entertainment. And I own three pairs of their shoes.

But really.
 Simon Caldwell 08 Nov 2011
Was talking to a guy in an outdoor shop the other day, Adidas are trying to branch out into high quality kit. Their new waterproofs looked top notch (though with a price to match).
 Denni 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Richard Alderton:
> It was when they released a shoe called the 'Cool Hwip' that 5.10 finally jumped the shark.
>
> Don't get me wrong. Family Guy is among my favourite post-pub entertainment.

Love it!

youtube.com/watch?v=lich59xsjik&
OP Michael Ryan 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC)
> Was talking to a guy in an outdoor shop the other day, Adidas are trying to branch out into high quality kit. Their new waterproofs looked top notch (though with a price to match).

Their GORE active shell is reasonably priced comparably, sub £200
 Timmd 08 Nov 2011
> It was when they released a shoe called the 'Cool Hwip' that 5.10 finally jumped the shark.
>
> Don't get me wrong. Family Guy is among my favourite post-pub entertainment. And I own three pairs of their shoes.
>
> But really.

No way, that's 5.10's sense of humour, they can't change that. Daftness helps make the world a nicer place.

Timmd 08 Nov 2011

I have the Cool Hwip bit going through my head now.

Thank you 5.10...

()
 hexcentric 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Toreador:

They've been around the outdoor market for years in europe. and their old stuff is just as good as anyone elses.
 Jonny2vests 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Hay:
> A re-issued Pink would sell out - I have no doubt of that.

Agreed. Their marketing team must have their head up their arse to not realise that.
ice.solo 08 Nov 2011
In reply to hexcentric:
> (In reply to Toreador)
>
> They've been around the outdoor market for years in europe. and their old stuff is just as good as anyone elses.

yeah. beat kammerlander was the adidas man in the 90s, and in south africa - where alpine gear can be hard to get - adidas gore stuff is popular (you can always tell the SA climbers in pakistan by their adidas gear).

what im wondering is if this somehow means the exotic rubber mixs 5.10 use will free up - theyve been some of the closest guarded secrets in the tactical rubber scene for years, very hard to track down.
in some ways 5.10 was an interface for these rubber companies, so maybe now we will see more interesting soles appearing on other footwear. surely hybrid soles are the next thing.
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to hexcentric)

> what im wondering is if this somehow means the exotic rubber mixs 5.10 use will free up - theyve been some of the closest guarded secrets in the tactical rubber scene for years, very hard to track down.
> in some ways 5.10 was an interface for these rubber companies, so maybe now we will see more interesting soles appearing on other footwear. surely hybrid soles are the next thing.

Could you explain that in plain English?

Clauso 08 Nov 2011
In reply to ice.solo:
>
> ... surely hybrid soles are the next thing.

I'm not so sure about the hybrid soles, but, apparently, Adidas are already responding to demands from chav looters for a pair of trainers that will feature stealth rubber to assist with kicking shop windows in. They are to be marketed as Adidas R-Soles.

ice.solo 08 Nov 2011

5.10 have near-exclusive rights to the rubber mixs they use. maybe with the change of hands to adidas, those rubber mixs will be used on other shoes as well, including maybe new types of soles with different rubber combinations.
ice.solo 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Clauso:

very good
In reply to ice.solo:
>
> 5.10 have near-exclusive rights to the rubber mixs they use.

Not heard of anyone else using Stealth etc... although I do believe they did employ someone for a while to sell the license to use their rubbers.

> maybe with the change of hands to adidas, those rubber mixs will be used on other shoes as well

Hopefully on a decent fell 'trail' running shoe, either adidas or five ten, it matters not.

nufkin 08 Nov 2011
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> Not heard of anyone else using Stealth etc... although I do believe they did employ someone for a while to sell the license to use their rubbers.
>

Presumably the flaw in this plan was that the other big rubber market favours less friction?
 zhwang 13 Nov 2011

Puma, cava and other companies have licensed stealth rubber for climbing shoes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...