UKC

The best hard shell for winter climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alex Raeside 12 Nov 2011
I am looking to buy a new hard shell for this seasons winter climbing. Previously I owned a TNF Mammatus jacket which started of as a great buy but after a short time I realised it was a poor jacket; not durable, poor breathability and even worse waterproofing.
So im looking to buy a new jacket (around 300 pounds) and was looking for some actual advise. Im basically looking for a very waterproof jacket which will last! I will use it to go winter climbing and walking paticularly on the munro's and occationally skiing.
I currently own a Arteryx Theta SV bib which is excellent and was thinking about buying another Arcteryx product. Does anyone know if the Arcteryx beta AR jacket is any good?
Any other suggestions for jackets would alos be much appretiated!

In reply to Alex Raeside: Lots of good advice here:
- http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4090

I've got the Arc'teryx Beta AR jacket and I really rate it. I prefer it over the 'climbing-specific' Alpha range, because I much prefer the pockets. The Beta AR is pretty roomy, so excellent for going over the top of layers, and has plenty of room for a helmet. I've used it for Scottish Winter mountaineering, Euro ice cragging, Winter hill walking, etc.

Cheers
 Oceanic 13 Nov 2011
In reply to Alex Raeside:

If you want a jacket which performs and looks good then fit is way more important than anything else.

I've found that jackets which look good when browsing on the internet are nowhere near as good when you try them on and discover that they don't match your individual body shape.

Gibson 13 Nov 2011
In reply to Alex Raeside:

You'd find it hard to better the ME Kongur in terms of performance, fit, durability and price.
Used it winter climbing, munros and everything in between and genuinely cannot fault it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...