UKC

South Wales Meeting - Boulders Cardiff - Tues 29th Nov

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stuwelly85 14 Nov 2011
All welcome, see you there.

Food will be provided (a simple buffet).
Items on the agenda include:
Report on Wind Turbine debate
Bolting issues on Gower
South Wales Green Guide,
Update on Access issues at Tirpentwys, Dinas and Mount Pleasant (Edwardsville)
Report from Pembrokeshire annual meeting
National Council report
Election of new rep for National council from South Wales.

Some info on National Council Rep, anyone interested to do the role, and want to find out more can email me; stuart.llewellyn@gmail.com

Area Representatives on National Council
Each BMC Area can appoint two people to serve on the National Council, the BMC’s main policy making body. National Council meets five times per year The BMC covers travel and accommodation costs and efforts are made to ensure that meeting weekends are a combination of business and pleasure; recent venues include Capel Curig, Malham, Swanage, Croyde, Gower, Hayfield and the Duddon Valley.
Guidance for Areas Reps on National Council:

The role of the Area Rep is to represent the views of their Area at National Council and to report back to their Area on any relevant decisions or debates at National Council. At times it will be necessary for National Council to make quick decisions on issues, so Area Reps must be prepared to ‘think on their feet’ and act (including voting) on behalf of their Area.

Martin Kocsis, BMC 24 Nov 2011
In reply to stuwelly85: The meeting starts at 7.30pm and there will be some free and tasty food laid on bny the team. Everyone is welcome.
 Elfyn Jones 29 Nov 2011
In reply to stuwelly85:
Hi folks
Just a quick reminder that this is tonight @ Boulders Climbing Wall at Cardiff.

Elfyn Jones
BMC Access Officer (Wales)
Anonymous 30 Nov 2011
In reply to Elfyn - A+C Officer For Wales:

It is noted from this site that the BMC South Wales area meeting was posted on 14/11/11, i.e., 2 weeks notice. Like many climbers in the South Wales area, I only became aware of this meeting a couple of days before it took place, therefore wasn't able to make arrangements to attend.

Given that the BMC recommends it's affiliated clubs to provide a minimum of 3 weeks notice of meetings and take active steps to inform members of such meetings, I'm wondering why the BMC doesn't apply such recommendations to it's own activities? For example, given that the BMC holds email addresses for it's members, a timely email notifying local BMC members about local area meetings seems appropriate.

It is noted that a number of pertinent issues were on the agenda. In light of this, the date setting, organisation and publication of this area meeting raises concerns about local BMC reps engagement with the local climbing community. I'm aware that local area BMC meetings often vote on issues pertinent the local climbing community. It would seem advantageous that any decisions that may have been voted on during this meeting be postponed to a future meeting arranged in-line with the BMC's own recommendations.
 Elfyn Jones 02 Dec 2011
In reply to Anonymous:

There does appear to have been a glitch in the way information advertising this meeting was sent out- normally the BMC office sends a group e-mail to all individuals and clubs who normally attend these meetings. The mailing was actually sent out from the office, but it appears that an IT gremlin prevented recipients from recieving the mail.

The meeting should have been advertised sooner - but the need to fit in with other meetings meant that the volunteer organisers had to get the meeting arranged for this week.

This was Stuart Llewelyn's last meting as BMC South Wales Representative and on behalf of the BMC and South Wales climbers, I'd to thank him for the amazing voluntary effort he's put in over the last four years to bring the South Wales Area together, while also organising the superb annual Gower Climbing Festival.

Apologies to all who could not attend and who did not recieve the usual notice of this event. We will get it right next time!
Remember also that the first port of call for all all BMC meetings and events is the BMC Community Website.

Elfyn Jones
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)
well done stu for all your hard work it has made a huge difference to the region

simon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...