UKC

Re-waterproofing, without Nikwax etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joshen 24 Nov 2011
So my travelling has brought me to Borneo and I'm going to go up Mount Kinabalu, but it's rainy season, so I could do with reproofing a few things. But every time I ask for waterproofing spray, thy look at me like I'm mad. I've tried the few outdoor shops and even a few shoe shops, but always the same reaction. I'm beginning to wonder if I just imagined the existence of Nikwax.
Now I can live with wet legs and torso, but I know that few things make a man as miserable on a mountain as wet feet. So how can I reproof my shoes? I was thinking of smearing lard all over them, but I'm sure the clever people of UKC must know better. Cheers
 Denzil 24 Nov 2011
In reply to joshen: I'm sure lard would work. Leather treatment for saddles? Beeswax? Silicone based furniture polish? Engine oil - when the oil started leaking out the left cylinder of my BMW R1150R the coating my boot got seemed very effective....
OP joshen 24 Nov 2011
In reply to Denzil: Cheers for the ideas, just not sure it'll do the Gortex much good
 Jonay 24 Nov 2011
In reply to joshen:

A few places reccommend Grangers - I've not had the chance to try it yet - I've only just used the last of my Nikwax.

http://www.grangers.co.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...