UKC

Washing ropes for New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pink_hippy 05 Dec 2011
To anyone who's taken a (not new) rope with them to New Zealand:
I want to take my rope with me when I go on Wednesday but am a little concerned that, despite washing it, it's not going to pass inspection. Just wondering what to expect at the airport and if they have ways of cleaning ropes there.
Any experiences or comments greatly appreciated!
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2011
In reply to pink_hippy:

We took all our climbing kit when we went out there for 8 months. The whole lot was impounded for a few days and they sprayed it with something then returned it without charging us and without asking us anything. We had done our best to have everything clean beforehand but I guess you can never tell.

Just make sure you declare it when you go through.
 Tom Last 05 Dec 2011
In reply to pink_hippy:

I'm pretty sure I hadn't washed my rope when I went into NZ, I had scrubbed my boots etc though - I declared it all, but was just waved through.

This was in 2007 though, and obviously it's not gonna be the same for everyone.
OP pink_hippy 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Rampikino:
That's good to know...and whatever it was they sprayed it with didn't seem to have any adverse effets? That's the worry isn't it?!
In reply to Southern Man:
I'll keep my fingers crossed then...
 Graham 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Southern Man:
I live in NZ, and have traveled all over the world with my ropes and returned to NZ. There's not a "rope" box to tick on your customs form, and they seem primarily concerned with boots and tents - and that's it. They would obviously see my ropes on the xray machine, but nobody's ever mentioned anything. I'd make sure your boots and tent are well scrubbed (if they're not, it's not a big deal - they'll scrub them for you).

Don't worry about it.
In reply to Graham:
Marvellous! I'll chill out then
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2011
In reply to pink_hippy:

No noticable damage - we climbed on the ropes fine for 8 months and beyond
Anonymous 05 Dec 2011
In reply to pink_hippy:

Always go and declare - its much faster than lining up with all the punters and they let you cut in the xray machine line!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...