UKC

Lakes Winter ethics - The Video.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 07 Dec 2011
So, is it available on line yet, and if so where? Looks like some rare plants on Red Tarn cargs could get a battering this weekend if, as seems possible, there's a lot of soft snow about.
 simondgee 07 Dec 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:
The videos will be published in 5 'Reels'
not surprisingly they become more lively as the beer barrels drained.

Reel 1 Intro and Max Biden-Historical Perspective
Reel 2 Simon Webb (Natural England)-Environmental Perspective
Tonight 7:30 exactly 1 week since the event

Reel 3 Dave Birkett-A climbers perspective
Reel 4 Stephen Ashworth-A climbers perspective
Thursday Night

Reel 5 Q & A
Friday Night

I will post links on here
and the BMC will be posting too.

Simon

OP Rog Wilko 07 Dec 2011
In reply to simondgee: That's great, and many thanks for your efforts. Although I was there I really want to review it all.
 LakesWinter 07 Dec 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko: That's an unhelpful comment. I'm sure no one will be climbing if the conditions aren't fully frozen, or at least I'd not be. When turf is well frozen it's fine
 Stuart Wood 07 Dec 2011
In reply to MattG:

How dare you have an opinion MattG, do as your told! The self appointed winter conditions police are watching.

Woody
 simondgee 07 Dec 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:
The videos being published in 5 'Reels'

NOW AT vimeo.com/33300174

NOW AT vimeo.com/33255405

All very polite so far...

...Tomorrow Dave Birkett and Stephen Ashworth give active climbers perspective...and the fingers start be pointed.

Simon

Justin Tracey 07 Dec 2011
In reply to simondgee: Good work so far Simon, sorry I could not help out with all the editing with the action packed footage we got! Looking forward to the next three reels coming online, it was Good to be part of the filming crew on the night.
 simondgee 07 Dec 2011
In reply to Justin Tracey:
Hardest bit on edit with Dave is keeping his arms in shot... next time i'm taking a dart gun.
 LakesWinter 07 Dec 2011
In reply to Stuart Wood: yes sir, sorry sir, I'll endeavour to only climb gullies sir!
 Simon Caldwell 08 Dec 2011
In reply to MattG:
> I'm sure no one will be climbing if the conditions aren't fully frozen

Really?
I'm fairly certain that some people will climb anyway.
In reply to Stuart Wood:
> the self appointed winter conditions police are watching.

The problem is that some of these "self appointed" people have the power to get winter climbing banned completely on some crags.
 simondgee 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Toreador:
It would be good if you have some examples of this?
Genuinely, I am interested in the difference between those with statutary powers at their disposal and currently don't generally apply them e.g. Natural England, National Trust, LDNPA and those that you suggest that are self appointed.
 Franco Cookson 08 Dec 2011
In reply to simondgee:

Thanks for getting these videos sorted. Really well done. I am so irritated that I was not in the UK for this. The levels of hypocrisy in Mr. Bidens speech is gut wrenching. I hope it was challenged. Interested to see the next few videos though. Thanks.
In reply to simondgee:
I wasn't suggesting any of them were self appointed, the phrase was in quotes as I was copying an earlier post.
OP Rog Wilko 08 Dec 2011
In reply to MattG:
> (In reply to Rog Wilko) That's an unhelpful comment. I'm sure no one will be climbing if the conditions aren't fully frozen, or at least I'd not be. When turf is well frozen it's fine

If the cap fits wear it.

In reply to Rog Wilko: I watched the videos published so far, thanks to Franco's UKC page

I thought the speech Simon Webb about the conservation aspects of climbing winter routes, really interesting both from a climbers point of view (I haven't winter climbed yet, but hope to get out this winter), but also from the point of view of someone studying Environmental Conservation. Some interesting points and quite shocking figures on alpine flora.

I look forward to watching the rest.

Dunc
 LakesWinter 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Toreador: Yeah unfortunately you may be right. Hopefully things will freeze so anyone who chooses to go out at the weekend wont have to worry about turning round due to unfrozen turf.
OP Rog Wilko 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell: At the risk of getting shouted at by the "free spirits" on this site who are happy to take a cavalier attitude to conservation issues, I think Simon Webb's presentation should be compulsory viewing for all winter climbers. Possibly because until very recently we've had a long series of poor winters in the Lakes there seem to be a lot of people (judging by posts you will see on here) who are of the opinion that good winter conditions obtain whenever the fells look white, which is very far from the case. Shin-deep soft snow insulating unfrozen turf underneath is all too common, as are ignorant comments on here that it constitutes "fantastic nick".
 Stuart Wood 08 Dec 2011
In reply to MattG:

This article http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3977&lgn=128824
has inspired me for some new winter routes!
Not in gullies so shouldn't be pulling out rare flowers. Not often done by rock climbers so shouldn't upset them.
and .... loads of new winter lines.

Woody
 Dave Warburton 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Stuart Wood: keep up the good work, Woody.
 Stuart Wood 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Dave Warburton:

Will do Dave, you'll have to give me a tour of the moors sometime. And If you fancy some first winter ascents, theres loads to go at on gimmer! Give me ashout.

Woody
OP Rog Wilko 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Stuart Wood:
> (In reply to Dave Warburton)
>
> And If you fancy some first winter ascents, theres loads to go at on gimmer!

That sounds like a bit of deliberate provocation.
 simondgee 08 Dec 2011
In reply to simondgee:
I am having a screaming match with Vimeo as it is failing to convert the files tonight. I will try again tomorrow with Dave and Stephens vid's.
 Stuart Wood 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:

What do you mean?

I prefer rock climbing Rog, but if it's in condition Gimmers north west frontier zone looks great game!

Your article is inspirational for pointing out potential winter lines so many thanks Rog.

Happy cranking bud.

Woody
 simondgee 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:
There's loads to do on the main face of Hodge too ...the stream used to be piped down Sideshow for a freeze up ...there's bolts too...a quick trip to maplins for Gaddesque metal detector and your in the game for the first winter ascent of the Big Link...I never realised winter and summer climbing issues were so clear cut.
All with a very big
 Stuart Wood 08 Dec 2011
In reply to simondgee:

Behind the lines would be a classic simon! But I'd love to see someone tooling the run out on the top pitch of the big link! Go for it mate.

Woody
 simondgee 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Stuart Wood:
Blimey! Don't tell me your allowed to put gear in on winter ascents ...i'd best get me pegs out again ...
...but out of interest
a)does the stream still get diverted down the Sideshow bit in winter?
b) is there anything left there or have the cave divers enherited that too.
Keep at it though its more interesting than that bloke on about loving 'f**ing trees'
 Stuart Wood 08 Dec 2011
In reply to simondgee:

Most winter climbers carry pegs simon.

Not that I'm aware of, but if it did I wouldn't go anywhere near it as sideshow has fallen down and that area is very unstable.

As hard as I could try Simon I could never be as interesting as you.

See you soon bud.

Woody
 simondgee 08 Dec 2011
Now up Lakes Winter Ethics Debate 2011
Reel 3-Dave Birkett-An Active Climbers Perspective
On top form...
vimeo.com/33362866

along with
Reel 1-Intro and Max Biden-An Historical Perspective
vimeo.com/33300174
Reel 2-Simon Webb (Natural England)-An Environmental Perspective
vimeo.com/33255405

and altogether at http://www.reeltimeadventure.tv
BMC will be posting too.

Shortly
Reel 4 Stephen Ashworth-A Active Climbers Perspective
Reel 5 Q & A

Simon
OP Rog Wilko 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Stuart Wood:
> (In reply to Rog Wilko)
>
> What do you mean?
>
> I prefer rock climbing Rog, but if it's in condition Gimmers north west frontier zone looks great game!
>
> Your article is inspirational for pointing out potential winter lines so many thanks Rog.
>
Talk about twisting the knife!!

I can't decide if your post is steeped in irony or not, but it made me laugh assuming it was.

Seriously, though, that area of Gimmer does taken a lot of drainage and is very wet in winter, so I'd prefer you to hack about there than on Asterisk.
But do wait for it to freeze hard, won't you?

Has anyone actually managed to view reels 4 or 5 yet.

I can't find a link that works.

Ta.
 Doghouse 10 Dec 2011
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

I don't think they've been posted yet looking at Simon's post of 22.33 on Thursday??
 LakesWinter 10 Dec 2011
In reply to Stuart Wood: Yeah, I thought that too, vegetated grooves, a bit of NW in the aspect, drainage. Sounds perfect to me. See you round there.
 simondgee 10 Dec 2011
In reply to Doghouse:
No I left the house on with Stephens still rendering...i will upload as soon as i get back from this weekends work. I have to fit these edits in between other commitments. Have to say, whilst it is suggested Stephens content is controversial, it is extremely well structured and dfficult to fault in logic and presentation...talented lad on and off the fells. Just need to keep his presenattions a little shorter .
Simon Gee
Big Area Film
a part of
The ReelTime Adventure Team
 simondgee 13 Dec 2011
In reply to simondgee:
Apologies for the interruption in service...a couple of priorities and vimeo fight have meant i have had to concentrate on packing the contents of this big old house for my house move. I will hopefully get Stephens uploaded tomorrow, its quite a bit longer than the others but worth the watch...
Simon
In reply to simondgee:

No worries.

Looking forward to seeing it when it comes out.

GR
softlad 23 Dec 2011
In reply to simondgee: Still no sign of Steve Ashworth's talk on vimeo - are you having trouble uploading it, Simon?
 simondgee 23 Dec 2011
In reply to softlad:
Yes I posted last week. I was supposed to move house and office a couple of weeks ago, that has been delayed by solicitors but i had already given up my hardwired broadband and as any of you vimeo users will know vimeo just doesnt like wireless uploads...especially ones over 1/2Gb! Stephen's presentation was very good and well structured so I am as keen as anyone to get it up.
Sorry for the delays.
softlad 24 Dec 2011
In reply to simondgee: thanks for the update; hope you get the move sorted ok
 simondgee 27 Dec 2011
In reply to softlad:
Not Moved but managed a little internet highway robbery and somebody is gonna wonder where 1.5Gb of there allowance went...

Here is:

Reel 4 of 5 Stephen Ashworth-An Active Climbers Perspective at the Winter Ethics debate
http://vimeo.com/bigarea/webmc-sashworth

More about it on RTA facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelTime-Adventure/335332793159974

Simon Gee
(part of the ReelTime Adventure Team)

al123 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko: are there any plans for a script or whatever or even subtitles of some of the comments made that arnt really audio able to be put up? enjoyed it so far but would like to understand some of the comments made of Part 4 (Stephens point of view)
cheers
 zero six 26 Jan 2012
In reply to simondgee:

The videos will be published in 5 'Reels'

Tonight 7:30 exactly 1 week since the event

Reel 3 Dave Birkett-A climbers perspective
Reel 4 Stephen Ashworth-A climbers perspective
Thursday Night

Reel 5 Q & A
Friday Night

I will post links on here
and the BMC will be posting too.

Simon

Where's reel 5? It was this reel of the Q and A's, together with Steve and Dave's talks, which I was most interested in hearing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...