UKC

Camping stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Agrius 15 Dec 2011
Hi all,

Im getting a new camping stove, to use for solo camping.
Im after a multi fuel, one that will last me for years to come. I've been looking at the MSR Whisperlite Internationale, the Primus Omnifuel, and also (even though not technically a multi fuel) a Trangia but with the gas attachment as well as the traditional meths.
Has anyone got any comments about these stoves or another that I may not have seen?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Cheers guys,
Lisa_K 15 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius:

Whisperlite is good but highly aggressive. You will find yourself cooking the pots and pans unless you can get hold of blacklite, which is a bit like rockinghorse poo, or similar. It is essentially designed to boil / melt fast, which it does perfectly. A fry up is a little more challenging because it does cook so very quickly. If you want control go for a Dragonfly.
 gordo 15 Dec 2011
iv got the omni fuel which is good as it has simmer control and can also run on gas as well as liquid fuels
 LastBoyScout 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius:

Omnifuel - have had it for years and not managed to find fault with it yet.
 alexcollins123 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius:

agreed about the MSR - it destroyed some cheap vango pans I bought on their first use... definately a pasta and coffee stove rather than a fry up stove.

Water though, it does boil very very fast!! But I still use my ETA express for water because thats faster.

MSR very reliable, not sure how effective the 'shaker' technology is in it though??
Bimbler 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius:
Gas- great like cooking at home but expensive, bit rubbish when cold and generally fairly light. Not always easy to get gas in Europe if you plan to use it there.
Msr whisperlite- bit digital, its either off or ON! Difficult to get a gentle simmer. Very cheap to run though.
Omnifuel- cheap to run and good range of cooking temp and good cold weather performance. Bit heavier though (not excessively though)

Also consider Msr dragonfly which is like a whisperlite but more civilized.

Msr and primus are all reliable enough. The big thing to consider is how much you plan on using them as the cost of fuel is so expensive. Eg a 4 quid gas bottle is super clean and convenient but the equivalent in liquid fuel is roughly 1 pound...
 Richard Smith 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Bimbler: Trangia seem to have fallen out of fashion, I have had one for years, since the 70’s, just a meth’s version, but I cannot fault it. You get pans and kettle, it packs well and I would always recommend buying one. It always goes everywhere with me, I do have a pocket rocket to so I can brew quickly when required.
 Glansa 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius:

I have and use both the omnifuel and a trangia with gas converter. I would highly recommend them both.

If I'm away with a few people I'll tend to use the trangia as having a couple of pans and sometimes the kettle too, although a little bulky and maybe a touch heavier, is great and you can always leave bits behind when you won't need them. It's great in wind, very stable and generally gas is easy to get. And I've not used the meths burner for years. Gas is quick, clean, controlable, doesn't spill, easy to change if a can runs out in the middle of cooking without burning fingers. In fact if anyone wants to buy a meths burner...

If I'm going away alone or with just one other person and will be away a bit longer or going somewhere I'm not sure about being able to get gas then it's the omnifuel. Easy to control, runs on anything and fits inside a single pan I steal from the trangia set.

Nick
needvert 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius:

I have a MSR XGK Ex. I quite like it. Some claim to be able to simmer with it but it takes skill, otherwise it's either on or off.

It's a solid stove. I don't find the plastic pump an issue (though if I camped with people who had a habit of standing on my stove parts that would be a bit different).

I always take my non-multifuel canister Pocket Rocket with me on Solo trips though. Just so light, small and clean
 Boulderdash86 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius: I use a Trangia, with an Omnifuel converted...bit pricy but excellant as can use all year round even in the cold...plus it takes gas and any type of liquid fuel. So all the pros of a trangia - steady, windproof with the advantages of multifuel.....Hope that helps.
 climberuk 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius:

Also look at the Optimus Nova+ stove. 'Tis good.
alexgoodey 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius: Camping or mountaineering? If genuinely lower / gentler alititudes, amenable to gas rather than liquid, then I'd go for an MSR Pocket Rocket, with a small ti mug (and lid) and a caldera cone. I think Trangias are a bit heavy for what you get, and the price is far in excess of a lighter/smaller kit.
 coinneach 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius:

After 30 plus years of camping, from pup tents to multi room enormodomes ,the first brew of the morning and the last brew at night always tastes better if it's made using a meths powered trangia!
 dazwan 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius: How about the Trangia Mutlifuel adapter. I got one at GoOutdoors for £50. Basically its an Optimus Nova adapted to fit in like the gas burner. I now use a regular Optimus Nova and nick the pans from the Trangia for family trips out now. IMO these are far too bulky for solo use after you add the fuel bottle and pans.

For a solo trip, Its either the Trangia 27 (with meths) or my Optimus SVEA 123+ which will fit inside my Titanium Mug (like a Jetboil) but can be a pain to light in the wrong conditions.
Bimbler 16 Dec 2011
In reply to dazwan:
I think the biggest issue is there is so much choice!

xoran 17 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius: if you're looking at liquid fuel then another thumbs up for the dragonfly. Its pretty loud if you've got it on full tilt, just something to bear in mind. Again, its probably a bit OTT for solo camping outside of winter, but it wouldn't let you down.
What sort of cooking are you doing? if its just boiling water then a jetboil would be a good option?
 rj_townsend 17 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius: If you're after multi-fuel capability, you may be interested in the Go System stove I'm selling. http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=484067&v=1#x6651779

Price may have been a little optimistic - open to offers.
 Nordic 17 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius: Another vote for MSR Dragonfly from me.
 Harry_Pymont 17 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius: It's very difficult to get one stove for 'every occasion'. Personally I have a primus omnifuel for winter/high alt and a jetboil for solo trips/hiking. It's not cheap but it works for me . If you only need your stove for solo trips then I think a jetboil is the way to go
OP Agrius 19 Dec 2011
Thanks everyone for their input on this topic. Needless to say, I now think my decision is harder than it was when I posted the topic.
I think ill need to compile a list of what I really need a stove to do then have another look since there are so many decent stoves out there.
As for the type of walking / camping I do, currently its just your normal UK hill walking and wild camping. Nothing too extreme. But with that in mind I want to explore more of Europe next year and attend some mountaineering courses and start to do more 'hardcore' hill walking.
The dragonfly was on my hit list and probably the stove I liked what id read about the most, the only problem with it was the cost. But if it will last, then im sure its a worth while investment.
Otherwise, then I think I might look into a trangia with a gas converter so then I have the option of gas or meths. Ive used Trangers in the past (only meths), and also abroad so I know these little fellas are pretty good.
Decisions, decisions, but again - thank you to everyone who has commented.
Ill be sitting here in February thinking "so what stove shall I get". Im using a cruddy little coleman stove at the moment that is probably 10 years old that I really need to replace.

Cheers,
Leebarker 19 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius: Omifuel all the way its a monster but will never fail, there is a lightweight Titanium one available now.I have given my beloved trangia away to a nephew, have a jetboil and a gigstove but the ominifuel is always the one for multi day trips
 martinph78 20 Dec 2011
In reply to Agrius: I like my omnifuel and went for it over the MSR because it had the aluminium pump rather than plastic and the pot holders are excellent (toothed rather than just wire).

Running on diesel or paraffin is a pain in the ass as the jets block every time and priming canm be troublesome. Petrol or gas is brilliant (just don't light it on petrol in your tent!). Tough as anything, mine has been in my pack to the himalayas, andes, and all over the UK.

My fuel hose split this week but it is 6-7 years old and as I say, hasn't been especially well cared for (get's stuffed in my pack so squashed, chucked around, dropped, bashed etc).

Having had the recent issue with the fuel hose I would recommend one from a brand with good spares back-up. It will ALWAYS be days before a trip when you need a part!

I am a big fan of liquid fuels rather than gas, but as I say, avoid using diesel unless you really have to (which in teh UK and Europe you won't). In fact if you can get a stove that doesn't run on diesel for less money (and are not planning a trip to anywhere really odd) I would! You can even run them on benzine, available in chemists (some places anyway).
 lone 02 Jan 2012
In reply to Agrius: I use the Whisperlite, it's fast to boil the water and great for winter, Trangia with gas fitting is super fast in warm climate but slower in winter and under powered with meths.

You can't make porridge on the whisperlite, you'll burn it to the bottom of the pot, the heat out put is tremendous but you could heat the water/milk and pour it into the oats and let it soak. I have simmered water with the whisperlite but it takes some practice with pressure and control of the flow.

I'd go for the Whisperlite, such a good bit of kit, simple and reliable with shaker in the jet works every time and less bulkier than the Trangia.

The Dragonfly is another contender but I find it slower at boiling water than the whisperlite, however solo backpacking gives you ample time for your cuppa you can control the flow of fuel from a Jet sounding burner down to a candle like flame so it's good for the porridge and everything else you want to do.

Field & Trek do good deals for these burners, fuel bottles and fuel.

All the best

Jason
Cathcart_Alpinist 02 Jan 2012
In reply to Agrius: MSR Suoperfly everytime!!
 john_mx 02 Jan 2012
In reply to Agrius: I've got the MSR Whisperlite Internationale and I think it's the best stove out on the market!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...