UKC

Anybody want to learn me map+compass skills for Free!??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 browndog33 24 Dec 2011
A bit cheaky for asking I know but I need to start getting my head around map and compass work for a geology degree I've started doing part time and was wondering if anybody fancied going out with me in the Peak district or North Wales for maybe a day and teaching me the some of the above skills???

Mark.
bobbybin 24 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: To what level do you need to learn these skills. Surely for a geology degree you don't need to that good, apologies if i'm wrong
OP browndog33 24 Dec 2011
In reply to bobbybin: I think I need to get pretty/very proficent at map and compass work (I will be producing geological maps at some point in the course work).

Thanks, Mark.
 henwardian 25 Dec 2011
In reply to bobbybin: I think he will have to be extremely precise! At a guess he will have to map boundaries between different rock types to within a few metres or less and not only read maps, but also draw maps with an accuracy just as precise. I gather than when you drill for oil for instance, the place you stab into the ground needs to be quite accurate
 Gawyllie 25 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: i would be more than happy to, i stay in leicester and have no trandport so looking for any excuse to get out!

been hillwalking since i was 9 all over scotland and my dad was ex-MR so taught me it pretty young,im also ex forces so ive had the basics drilled into me over and over again. if its more advanced stuff your after then ive never done micro nav etc so couldnt help much with that

bobbybin 25 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: I'd take up the offer from punj if i was you. But as with anything, map and compass skills need alot of practice. you don't need to be in the mountains. But practice makes perfect. There are also some very good books on the subject.
 jezb1 25 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: Email me mate and I'd be happy to take you out in Wales for a day.
OP browndog33 25 Dec 2011
In reply to henwardian: Yes pretty much bang on.. I need to work within 1m on the ground or 1mm on the map appartently.
Mark.
In reply to jezb1: Is that a free offer Jezb1? M.
In reply to punj: Thanks Punj I may well take that offer up. M.
In reply to browndog33:

if you head up to scotland you can have my instruction for a day, I'm working towards my ML and need logbook days, as well as studying Geology at Edinburgh so I have an idea what you will be requiring.
Cheers,
Oliver.
 James Thacker 25 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: I would start by trying to get your head around a Michel Levy Chart
 GarethSL 25 Dec 2011
In reply to bobbybin:
> (In reply to browndog33) To what level do you need to learn these skills. Surely for a geology degree you don't need to that good, apologies if i'm wrong

you have to be exceptionally good, given the requirement to make accurate geological maps without the aid of GPS.

To the OP:

Don't forget key simple skills like triangulation. You will almost definitely end up using a gps for marking your outcrops, but its an essential skill to know.

Remember to practice your inclinations and structure lineation measurements. ESP. Palaeocurrent directions from a range of features eg. ripples, dune foresets, grooves, scours and the orientations of fossiliferous material.

Obviously dip and direction are important but learn to use all types e.g. dip/dip direction, strike/dip with the right hand rule and Strike/dip/orientation.

I only ever used Dip/Dip Direction at uni and really suffered when working internationally with people who use different methods.

Last things to remember are mineral lineations, cleavage lineations, fold measurements, fault plane measurements, fracture orientations and slikensides etc.

Its a lot to learn and remember and I would love to help you out, but am a tad far away.

Also get good at re-scaling and re drawing maps in programmes such as coreldraw, it will be invaluable if you have to produce a map for your thesis. And practice drawing geological maps from scratch or on a very basic topographic map. And find some 0.3mm technical pencils and a load of different colored 0.1mm pens, then learn to use them in the field.

Oh and remember to get excellent at writing field notes... write down absolutely EVERYTHING!

*phew*
 ClayClay 25 Dec 2011
In reply to Hvit ut:
Exactly. Get to know the terminology and what it all means. The various methods for measuring a planar surface (strike/dip, dip-dip direction, Right hand rule etc.,), practice finding cleavage planes (S1, S2, S3) and measuring them and their intersection lineations.

The key is to measure lots. To measure lots you will have to get good at 1) measuring them quickly and 2) finding them. When you go on your mapping training most people will hang around the outcrop and do sh*t all, maybe taking 5 or so readings. For a good grade you will want to take as many readings as you can in the time and have a good walk and explore around the outcrops (when most people will be hanging around waiting to be told what to do). Make mini sketch maps in your notebook to set the scene, lots of drawings, notes and most of all lots of MEASUREMENTS.

The other aspect of your question is probably more about navigation on your mapping project. You won't want to get lost in the Highlands, or wherever you will be mapping. Depending on where you go to uni the training in this will be of different levels.

I agree with the above poster on computer skills also. Get to know Corel Draw, or (my own poison) Adobe Illustrator. Download the geological symbols swatches from BGS or USGS (web search this, they will be .pdf or .ai and you can then save the symbols to use in your illustrator symbol library). Other useful freeware programs are stereonett, PAST (for very useful statistics and fossil stuff), sedlog (for logs) and ImageJ combined with jPOR for image analysis (thin sections).

Good luck and get stuck in. Make the most out of your time in the field and don't hang around with the crowd waiting to be told the answer at the outcrop.
 GarethSL 25 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: and stereonets and rose diagrams... By hand too otherwise you will never understand what something produced by computer in open stero or steronet is telling you!
In reply to browndog33: It is highly likely these days you'll be doing it all on a GIS (ArcMap for instance). On the ground you'll most likely only be taking gps coordinates and measurements of strike and dip. oh and possibly length, but this can easily be extrapolated from two gps llocations (one at each end).

This data would then be inputted into a GIS, with a small amount of digitisation. Very quick to produce accurate geological and geomorphological maps using this technique.

Email me if you have any questions regarding this.

In reply to browndog33: Wow- some amazing advice above- thanks! I will put this thread into favorites for future reference.
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: Thanks ABGF, I presume you are geologist or similar- I didn't realise.. You may well get lots of questions coming your way in the future!
In reply to Hvit ut: Dont know anything about stereonets or rose diagrams yet whatsoever- but I'm willing to learn..
In reply to ClayClay: Brilliant advice, I'll buy coral draw or similiar. Thanks very much.
Mark.
In reply to Hvit ut: Thanks so much for the advice! Just getting my head around dip/strike/right hand rule etc but some of the things you've mentioned above is completly foreign to me though! Just invested in technical pencils and 0.1 technical pens!
In reply to 65m moderate millington: God I would absolutely love to meet up with you but can image you are a very long way away???? (Do you have any idea how far you are from Derby??)
Mark.
In reply to James Thacker:
Michel Levy Chart???? I'll google it! lol.
M.
In reply to browndog33: Ahh birefringence! Yes I'm just (trying) to getting my head around thin sections as we speak!
 GarethSL 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33:
> (In reply to Hvit ut) Thanks so much for the advice! Just getting my head around dip/strike/right hand rule etc but some of the things you've mentioned above is completly foreign to me though!

No worries, I imagine you will come across all of it at some point during your course.

Concentrate now on your map reading skills, cause they will be invaluable for the hill and not just for work.

As for all the other stuff, do a quick wiki search and get an idea, don't spend aaaages flicking through endless sedimentology or structural guff in books, helpful as it may be you will be taught it at some point so just knowing what it is will be much better.

I note you're studying part time, save yourself the cash on expensive programmes and use the universities computers if you can. They should have all the software.

As for freeware check out some of the others mentioned above and have a play with SedLog its VERY basic and available here: http://thames.cs.rhul.ac.uk/sedlog/download.html

Will also help get your head around sedimentology and logging, which I imagine you will have to do at some point.

Finally if you have any more questions please ask, there's lot of geo's on UKC so you will almost certainly get a good answer.

Good luck with your course, very envious I loved mapping geology but only ever read the maps now... will have to change that!

ps. remember its all about accuracy and detail, write everything down, even if you don't know what it is, describe it in baby language, measure everything and take photos of absolutely everything with a scale.
 alps-john 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33:
Just sent an email regarding assisting with navigation.
OP browndog33 26 Dec 2011
In reply to Hvit ut: Thanks again Hvit, I'm really loving the course and it's great to talk to a geo. Yours tips really are appreciated (and the link)- cheers.
Mark.
In reply to alps-john: Thanksfor the offer John- I might take you up on the offer.
Mark.
 mypyrex 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: "learn me"? "Geology degree"?
 toad 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: Teach. The word you're searching for is "teach". But then half of UKC has problems with "recommend me", so I wouldn't worry too much
In reply to toad: I wasn't searching for the word and I'm not too worried but thanks anyway!
M.
In reply to mypyrex:Yawn!
 mypyrex 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33:
> (In reply to mypyrex)Yawn!

It's basic grammar and I would expect somebody embarking on a degree course to possess such skills. 0)

In reply to mypyrex: You need to get out more.
M.
In reply to mypyrex: Ps; could you please keep this thread on the subject of either geology or navigation if you intend to post again.
Much appreciated, Mark.
 jezb1 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: in answer to your earlier qustion, Yes it was a free offer.
 mypyrex 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33:
> (In reply to mypyrex) You need to get out more.
> M.
You need to go back to primary school before thinking about degrees
 mypyrex 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33:
> (In reply to mypyrex) Ps; could you please keep this thread on the subject of either geology or navigation

Only if you use question marks where appropriate. :0)
In reply to jezb1: Really! wow thanks, well my bloody head lights are playing up on my van at the mow so I need to get them sorted Pronto, but if I can get them fixed I would probably be good for next week if you were?? (or if not- then whenever).
Mark.
In reply to mypyrex: Well seeing as you've got a smiley after that last post I'll let you off!
In reply to mypyrex: Are you always a critical tosser?
In reply to browndog33: Last post in reply to your primary school jibe.
 mypyrex 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33:
> (In reply to mypyrex) Well seeing as you've got a smiley after that last post I'll let you off!

Fair enough, thank you. I make no apology for appearing pedantic but good basic grammar IS more important than a lot of people are prepared to acknowledge.

Kelcat 26 Dec 2011
In reply to mypyrex: good to see the Christmas spirit in full effect...
In reply to mypyrex: This is a navigation thread.
 mypyrex 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33:
> (In reply to mypyrex) This is a navigation thread.
But you've lost your way
In reply to browndog33: Thanks to every one for all the brilliant Nav/geo help and advice given earlier in the thread- much appreciated.
Mark.
 Chambers 26 Dec 2011
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to browndog33)
> [...]
>
> It's basic grammar and I would expect somebody embarking on a degree course to possess such skills. 0)

Not these days. I recently encountered dozens of 18 year-olds on an English degree course who had no idea what a metaphor was. You couldn't make it up. Unless you had a vivid imagination and were writing a book on how stupid capitalism makes people.
 dunnyg 26 Dec 2011
In reply to Hvit ut: Do you work in geology now? Or just do a degree in it? Currently in 3rd year at Uni and looking for fun things to do with a geology degree.... Open to anyone else doing anything fun with geology too on here...

(sorry about the hijack, but just get out in the hills and get your navigation down, with and without compass, look at topography, appreciate what slopes looks like on maps compared to real life - good luck! and with notebooks, just draw+describe what you see, its not that hard!)
In reply to dunnyg: I Hope it is as easy as you make it sound!
 dunnyg 26 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: I wish! Just be thorough and you cant go too far wrong
 Rob Exile Ward 27 Dec 2011
In reply to mypyrex: 'It's basic grammar and I would expect somebody embarking on a degree course to possess such skills. 0)'

So what is your degree in?
 GarethSL 27 Dec 2011
In reply to dunnyg: I have a BSc in Geology and doing my MSc in petroleum geology in Norway. I'm in the exceptionally lucky position of working whilst studying. Which all sounds nice, but in reality its just extra lines on the CV
 dunnyg 27 Dec 2011
In reply to Hvit ut: Fair enough : )
OP browndog33 27 Dec 2011
In reply to jezb1: YHM mate.
Mark.
OP browndog33 03 Jan 2012
In reply to browndog33: Thanks Jez for the day of mountain nav- You're a great instructor and decent guy.
Mark.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...