UKC

C2 crampons with B1 boots for small feet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LouiseCowie 07 Jan 2012
So I'm in the market for a new pair of boots, and I want to keep my options open with regards to trying a bit of mountaineering/winter climbing.

I spoke to an assistant in an outdoor shop, who seemed to be saying that since I have small (size 3.5) feet, B2s would be pretty clunky to walk in, since they'd be stiffer than a larger size.

She also seemed to imply (circumspectly) that because of this, B1s might be stiff enough to wear C2 crampons with. Now I don't know a lot about crampons, and I was wondering if it would be possible and if it is, what downsides there might be. She suggested a pair of these.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/la-sportiva-womens-trango-...

If anyone has any insights I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Bellie 07 Jan 2012
In reply to oooeese: The trangos are rated in some shops as B1 and in others B2. In reality they are somewhere in between, and are not as rigid as some of the B2 boots you can try and as a result will be a bit easier to walk in. They will take a C2 step in crampon as they have a heel lip, although some users report them slipping out on occasion due to the sole not being as stiff as some.

Not sure how the size of the boot relates to stiffness, so can't comment, all I know is the stiff sole bed in the trangos runs 3/4 of the way down the boot and not the whole length, giving it more flex.
 andy_e 07 Jan 2012
In reply to oooeese:

I think in a size that small you would be fine, after all some B3s in the bigger sizes flex more like what you would expect from B2s. But a crampon that has a front bail, but back strap (like the Grivel crampomatic) might be a wiser choice.
 jadias 08 Jan 2012
In reply to talon_guy:

True. I noticed how much my Scarpa Phantom Guides flexed yesterday and I swear they're not much stiffer than my B1s!
OP LouiseCowie 08 Jan 2012

Thanks for the help, I tried on some today but the 4s were too big, so I might have to get them ordered in specially.
I'm still not sure how easy/nice they would be to walk in though, especially in warmer weather, anyone have any experience of this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...