UKC

DIY Ice Axe Leash (walking axes)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 15 Jan 2012
Google isn't very helpful so I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone made their own leash? I was thinking of using dynema webbing. I've read about adding extra loops in the leash but not sure I see the benefit of that.

Anyy pics welcome, or any neat ideas you've had, before I just larksfoot a dynema sling through the head
 brianblock 15 Jan 2012
In reply to Martin1978: larksfoot the head then make another larksfoot in the other end and slide your hand through
 dregsy 15 Jan 2012
In reply to Martin1978: I've done the larksfoot at the head then cut a disc out of a piece of oak flooring drilled a hole, sanded the thing, threaded it onto the sling and use it as a sliding stopper works well, and so simple.
 nniff 15 Jan 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Just use an ordinary piece of tape or cord (6-7mm), tied to the head at one end and with a hand-sized loop at the other
 Slarti B 16 Jan 2012
In reply to dregsy:
> I've done the larksfoot at the head then cut a disc out of a piece of oak flooring drilled a hole, sanded the thing, threaded it onto the sling and use it as a sliding stopper works well, and so simple.

Ages ago I made a leash out of tape and used a 1 inch section of garden hose for the stopper. Not as elegant but worked very well.

Timmd 16 Jan 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

I've used a piece of rope, and had a doubly tied fisherman's knot at each end I think.

Poke an end through the axe hole and tie a fisherman's and cinch it tight, and do the same at the other end, put my hand through the loop and pull snugly around the wrist.

I think that's what I did anyway...

Tim
OP martinph78 16 Jan 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Cheers,I was going to make one out of dynema but think when weiughted (ie climbing) it would be a bit painful. Good old tape it is I think. The leash on it is useluss, wouldn't trust it to hold a whislte around my neck!

I've been reading a book and the guy puts a loop in the middle for tieing into when anchored, as well as having it extra long so it attaches to his harness rather than wrist loop. I can see teh benefit when switching hands often I guess? Seems a bit ott to me.

On a side note, the head and spike on the Grivel Munro are too small for any of my carabiners, and also the axe holder on my South Col rucksack. Is this typical? Seems odd Grivel would do smething like that?

I'd use the sling to attach a biner to teh axe, but wondering if I should open up teh hole for it to attach to the pack, or make the pack attachment smaller?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...