UKC

Lofoten without a car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tnj 19 Jan 2012
Hi,

How easy is it to get around Lofoten without a car? I am planning a trip there for 3-4 weeks so we have time to to lose a day hitching and walking into crags every-so-often.
Also, how far away is the nearest hire-car company if we wanted to get a car for the last week to get to particuarly inaccessable places?

Any advice appreciated!

Tom
 hillman 19 Jan 2012
In reply to tnj: There's busconnections to most areas, but not that many departures each day. When the schools are closed, after midsummer, several buslines will not be operated. This website will give updated info: http://nri.websrv01.reiseinfo.no/nriiis/Default.aspx?Language=e

You can also rely on hitchhiking, the locals are friendly

Care-hire companies are based near the two airports, Svolvær and Leknes, and the harbour at Stamsund. These are listed in the yellow pages: http://www.gulesider.no/finn:bilutleie%20lofoten. In Norwegian, but I think you will manage.
 Mr. Lee 19 Jan 2012
In reply to tnj:

If you do consider a hire car then I used Rent-a-Car Lofoten last year. They were a lot cheaper than the rest (600 NOK a day) although the car was far from luxury (10 year old Megane with a slightly worn clutch). Website facilities a bit limited and booking a bit vague but they were waiting at Solvaer airport with the keys no probs.

http://www.rentacar-lofoten.com/information-in-english/
 GarethSL 19 Jan 2012
In reply to tnj:

There is apparently a bus from Narvik to Evenes (the airport) to Lofoten (I think Svolvær) but cant find any info any more. It was called Lofotenexpressen.

Car hire can be from Evenes or Harstad, possibly Svolvær.

You can also fly from Bodø to Svolvær with Widerøe.

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Where-to-go/North/Lofoten/Getting-to-Lofoten-...

Some of the best crags are roadside like Presten, Pianokrakken & Gandalf, just outside of Henningsvær, Svolværgeita in Svolvær can be accessed by foot.
 Mr Andersson 19 Jan 2012
In reply to tnj:

I don't really know, but the word is that it can be wise to fly to Sweden (Kiruna) and hire the car there and drive to Lofoten (5ish hours I think). Then you can also buy all food and drink in Sweden as well. Norway tends to be really expensive compared to Sweden. Alcohol is at least 2 times the price.
 jwi 19 Jan 2012
In reply to tnj: It should be quite OK without car. Camp at Gandalf and you can walk to most popular crags, and most climber camping there have cars it should be easy to arrange lifts to the supermarket and to Paradiset etc.
 TobyA 19 Jan 2012
In reply to jwi:
> Camp at Gandalf and you can walk to most popular crags,

Have they put in a toilet there now? It was literally quite shitty when I was last there some years back. The Kalle beach camping area was better just because there was a toilet and tap.
 jwi 20 Jan 2012
In reply to TobyA: No. Stay on the ocean side, dump in the sea, and burn the paper.
jim hughes 20 Jan 2012
In reply to Mr Andersson: I agree, I actually live in Kiruna and it only takes 3.5 to 4 hours from here to Henningsvaer.
 andyinglis 20 Jan 2012
In reply to tnj: Mate, had 3 weeks in lofo in 2009, without a car, and relied on buses. Worked absolutely fine. We walked to all the crags near hemmingsvaer then got the bus back to svolvaer for a number of days, again walking to the crags. Brilliant trip and definitely worth the effort! Let me know if you need any more detailed info.

Andy
OP tnj 20 Jan 2012
Thanks for all the excellent replies.

Prices to fly to Kiruna are about 70 quid cheaper at the moment than to Bodo so that could be a goer although hire car was still pretty steep. Is there a bus from Kiruna to Henningsvaer?

Cheers

Tom
 HeMa 20 Jan 2012
In reply to tnj:
> Is there a bus from Kiruna to Henningsvaer?

Doubt it..

But there is a bus and train from Kiruna to Narvik and then a bus from Narvik to Svolvaer (actually it goes further). Not sure how many busses to Henningsvaer per day from Svolvaer, but you could always walk from the junction... Or try to hitch hike.
Cody 20 Jan 2012
In reply to tnj: If you're just on the islands to climb, you'll get by fine without a car, just head to Henningsvaer and camp. You'll probably spend half your time waiting out bad weather anyhow. If you're interested in doing some sightseeing, then I'd say a car is pretty necessary - try getting to Utakleiv/Unstad/Eggum by bus.

There's a few local guys around the islands (Svolvaer, Stamsund, Reine) that rent out old cars. Just look for the cars driving around with a 'rent a car' sign on the door and write down the phone #. I've rented from the guy in Stamsund (Odd +47 909 12300) a few times over the years. As of last autumn prices were 500NOK/24hrs, 1500NOK/week (plus an optional 50NOK/day fee if you want to reduce insurance liability).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...