UKC

MSR Reactor & Hiileberg Jannu Tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rob1 19 Jan 2012
Has anyone got any experience of the above items.

I was wondering whether anyone has experience of the MSR reactor and jetboil and could give any idea which one they preferred.

Also whether anyone has any experience of the Hilleburg Jannu tent.

Cheers

Rob
 radson 19 Jan 2012
In reply to rob1:

I too have been researching the pros and cons of Jetboil vs. Reactor. A google search will reveal a lot of comparison studies.
 Denni 19 Jan 2012
In reply to radson:

When I was deciding between the two, I looked at bucketloads of sites including these two:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_disp...

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/MSR%20Reactor%20...

In the end I went with the jetboil as the chap in Cotswolds in Betws told me they had had 5 returned to them within a short period. I didn't quite get the jist of what the "technicalities" of the problem were, but there was something on the bottom of the unit that if it got knocked too hard, it buggered the whole stove.

Maybe someone can enlighten me with some sort of technical answer!
 Kelcat 19 Jan 2012
In reply to rob1: I went with the reactor as it just seemed slightly more versatile.
Bit more stable, larger pan ( can get a ration pack in) & stupidly quick. Have had it about a year, moderate use & is like new still.
 Radioactiveman 19 Jan 2012
In reply to rob1:

I have an MSR reactor -

things I dislike about it - pot doesn't lock onto burner,can rattle when stored if not packed out with a towel. Difficult to simmer unless you know a special trick.

Things I like about it - space for 2 boil in the bags, boils lots of water really quick,excellent to melt snow due to size of pan.

Not used a jetboil so cant compare it directly.
In reply to Denni:

The piezo igniter is a weak point on the Jetboil. It just stops functioning for some reason. Maybe that was what the sales guy was referring to.
ice.solo 20 Jan 2012
In reply to rob1:

jetboil sumo for inside a tent, no comparison.

the reactor is the stronger stove, but as it doesnt click together is way more sketchy inside a tent surrpounded by all your flammable gear. in a vestibule is ok, but actually inside - i wouldnt.

as for the jetboil, i use one inside tents regularly and without problems.
rigged as a hanging stove takes even more sketchiness out of it.

just realized your question wasnt about INSIDE the tent...but if the situation is likey then all that still stands.
otherwise, reactor for the power or if weight isnt the defining issue.
ice.solo 20 Jan 2012
In reply to Sir Stefan:

in 5 years never had an issue with the igniter - not to say it wont happen one day tho. just sayin.
be nuts to not carry a lighter whatever the stove is tho.
 JWB 20 Jan 2012
In reply to rob1:

Jannu:

I owned one. Pros: Dead easy and fast to put up (inner and outer pitch together) in all weathers, even in the dark, wind and rain with gloves on, good weight strength ratio, high build quality. Multi entrance opening options.

Cons: Porch design. Long sloping so not that much usable space. I reckon I there is more space in my Akto. Plus the biggest negative for me was that I struggled to get in and out without snow (or water) falling into the inner tent. In other words the base of the inner tent was below the top of the entrance. This was becasue the inner tent was not vertical but sloped inwards at the top.
Cost! However I bought mine in Sweden in a sale so it only casued me to sit down and not faint!
almost sane 20 Jan 2012
In reply to rob1:

I have a Vaude Power Odyssee. This is a poor man's Jannu: same pole structure is the poles clip on to the outside of the outer. The roof venting is not so good and the front door is lower, but the price is so much less (I paid £250) and you can get in and out without drips on the front door.
Really strong. Easy to set up in bad weather, even easier to take down.

BUT not as roomy inside as the Jannu.

I really like it.
 london_huddy 20 Jan 2012
In reply to rob1:

Have had both, now just have the Jetboil.

Reactor was bigger, heavier and less stable.

I can get two boil in the bags in the jetboil without any dramas and make a brew at the same time. Great bit of kit, so much so that I got the titanium version for backpacking and running with. It's fragile (bent the base of the pan on the OMM) but very light indeed. The normal jetboil on the otherhand has taken lots of abuse and is brilliant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...