UKC

Lowe Alpine of Crux

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Crazy Climber 30 Jan 2012
Looking for a new rucksack - ideally between 45-55ltr.
My current Burghaus aret 45 is great for day walks and ok for a cheeky overnight trip but I want something simple and slightly bigger to cope with a couple days out and more winter trips.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Lowe Alpine Attack 45-55 and the Crux AK47-x.
Can anyone offer any comments on these? Maybe people have used and abused them?

Cheers!

Ricky Martin 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Crazy Climber: Just be a bit careful with Lowe's sizing I have had two Lowe rucksacks and neither has been anyware close to the size they quoted. My Summit Attack is 30 Litres going on 20 and an old Backpaking sack I had was 70 going on humungus! Both excellent mind you.
In reply to Ricky Martin:
Yea this is the issue I have with my Berghaus - its 45 but is tiny compared with my mates Lowe 40!

I have looked at both in shops briefly, ideally would like to find a shop that has both to try at the same time - but that's not likely to happen I think!
 thedatastream 30 Jan 2012
I've got a Peak Attack 45:55 and it is great. Loads of room inside, lots of handy straps but not cluttered. I looked at the videos on the Lowe Apline website http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/prod_app_det.php?catid=9&itemid=925&t... and http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/techroom.php and you get a really good idea of what the pack is like and why. Can't comment on the amount of room vs other pack of the same size rating though.
 Skyfall 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Crazy Climber:

I have the Crux you mention. I have to admit after several years use I am not that big a fan. Whilst the material itself is very durable, I've had a couple of bits of stitching come undone and a strap pull off. I am not mad on the light metal interior frame for trips abroad as it keeps the sac too rigid for taking thro as hand luggage so I take it out. Carries loads quite well with frame in though and has a floating lid. I take a long back size so it's bigger than the average but it is a roomy enough sac ie. I would believe the stated size. There's one or two small niggly things that I don't like but hey. When I've had enough use to justify a replacement (not too long), I might well go back to a POD Black Ice, heavier weight or not (best work horse sac I've ever had).

I had an Alpine Attack about 15 years ago which was very lightweight compared to the competition and was superb at the time (best lightweight alpine sac I've had). One of the few sacs I really did wear out with use, abuse and altitude UV exposure! I couldn't believe it when they replaced with a new Alpine Attack which was really poor in comparison. New isn't always best - but no idea how good the newest version is.

Skyfall 30 Jan 2012

ps: do they do different back sizes for the Alpine Attack? Unless you're bang on average, watch out for sizing; it can make a huge difference to how it fits and carries.
In reply to thedatastream:

Cheers! will have a look at those later! (Work computers wont let me watch videos - I can't Imagin why?!)

How do you find the straps and the clip attachemnts for axes on it?
 thedatastream 30 Jan 2012
> (In reply to thedatastream)
> How do you find the straps and the clip attachemnts for axes on it?

The "Headlocker" is good, it holds my DMM Rebel axes very securely. It's perhaps not as good for my Grivel Nepal 60cm walking axe because the hole in the head is too small for the headlocker buckle to pass through. It's OK though, the strap through the headlocker is made of two straps so it acts just like a traditional loop.

The fact that the shaft retaining clips (which work really well by the way) are off to the side means that the axe shaft sticks out at an angle slightly - but not so much that it cathces on stuff / other people. Anyway it slides nicely down the compression straps and ski loop if you want to carry it that way, same as the poles. The compression straps have large tags to grip with gloves making them easy to adjust.

So in summary, that bit works better with curved technical axes rather than straight mountaineering axes - merely a minor point for me though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...