UKC

Intro Rock Climbing & Alpin intro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
phil27uk 01 Feb 2012
Hi,

Be gentle it's my first post! I'm looking to do an introduction to climbing and then possibly an Alpine Introduction later in the year. I live on the edeg of The Lake District and was wondering if anyone could recommend a company / individual who provides the intro to rock climbing. I have checked the small ads in various magazines, internet etc but would prefer a satisfied customers recommendation.

In the same vein can anyone recommend a company for the Alpine Introduction?

I'm doing the rock climbing first thinking that if I can't deal with the exposure climbing then I will be no better in The Alps!

Thanks

Philip
 JLS 01 Feb 2012
In reply to phil27uk:

>"I'm doing the rock climbing first thinking that if I can't deal with the exposure climbing then I will be no better in The Alps!"

Well that depends what you are doing in the alps. There is plenty of stuff to start off with that goes up very high but is no more difficult or exposed than a day in the fells.

But do carry on, there is nothing fundimentally wrong with your plan.
phil27uk 01 Feb 2012
In reply to JLS: Thanks for the reply, I have done a bit of walking in The Alps over the years, GR5 Lake Geneva to Chamonix, Chamonix area, Wengen & Grindelwald but I would like to progress into the higher mountains where I would be travelling on glaciers etc, hence the reason for the course.

I am just not sure about the exposure, I have done the likes of Striding Edge, Sharp Edge and Crib Goch but obviously the Alps are much higher and the ridges more exposed from what I have read. So I'm thinking the rock climbing course here is a good start.
 JLS 01 Feb 2012
phil27uk 01 Feb 2012
In reply to JLS: I think the not so exposed would do me for a start : D Also need to know if I can do the Alpine starts as well. Nice picture gallery btw.
 ajsteele 01 Feb 2012
In reply to phil27uk:

There are a few companies that regularly get mentioned on this site when alpine courses are brought up. Jagged Globe, Icicle Adventures and ISM are ones I can remember. I have used ISM and they were very good although the same seems to be said about JG and Icicle by those that have used them.
 fire_munki 01 Feb 2012
In reply to phil27uk:
I don't know the quality of the instructors but the youth hostels do intro climbing weekends.
 Brev 01 Feb 2012
In reply to phil27uk:

Depending on your age, this Alpine course might be of use to you:
http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-conville-alpine.php
 Mark Eddy 01 Feb 2012
In reply to phil27uk: yhm. Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...