UKC

Getting a nice blue flame with the Old MSR XGK ii

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 london_huddy 01 Feb 2012
In anticipation of a cold weekend away sometime soon, I've just dug out my old MSR XGK II (the shaker jet model) and having cleaned it and cranked it up for the first time in years (5+).

I just couldn't get a clean blue flame with it though, a classic XGK flare which surprised the planes approaching Heathrow over south London and a nearly satisfying roar but still lots of dirty yellow flames...

Any advice?
 A9 01 Feb 2012
In reply to hindu:

Check for good compression, clean the jets and run on fresh petrol, full bore, till hot (blue flame)
OP london_huddy 01 Feb 2012
In reply to A9:

Cheers - Re-cleaning the jets and more pressure has done the trick. It was last run on diesel which may have clogged it a bit. Nice to see an twenty year old stove still doing the business!

jamestheyip 01 Feb 2012
In reply to hindu:

Do check (or better just replace) all the O rings as well. They might start to crack/stiffen up after long time of disuse. My last XGK II pump caught on fire when the O ring leaked!
In reply to jamestheyip: good call- only question is, where's my spares set?!
 chiz 01 Feb 2012
In reply to hindu:
> (In reply to jamestheyip) good call- only question is, where's my spares set?!

....full of twenty year old O-rings probably!

In reply to chiz: good point, well made. I had the stove on for 15 mins or so earlier on without and explosions or errant fire....might have to make an order from needlesports.
 Aigen 02 Feb 2012
In reply to hindu: use the high octane petrol from the pumps.
 TobyA 02 Feb 2012
In reply to hindu: Old crusty gear geek question: I don't think the shaker jets are 20 years old are they? My Whispherlite international (just turned 20) doesn't have one. I think the shaker jets came when I was working in a outdoor shop in Glasgow, so 93-96 era?
 L.A. 02 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA: Pretty much correct. August 1993 MSR re introduced the Whisperlite Internatiional as the Whisperlite International 600 with the shaker Jet and needle

Old crusty gear geek
OP london_huddy 02 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Mine's from Feb 09 according to the stamp on the mountain block (as per this http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/24405/)

Still, 12 years old isn't bad. It's younger than the parano stuff I've got in the wardrode...
 TobyA 02 Feb 2012
In reply to hindu and L.A.:

> Still, 12 years old isn't bad. It's younger than the parano stuff I've got in the wardrode...

Hmm, maybe we should do a really-old-stuff-that-still-works thread? A decade would be the minimum to keep away all the johnny-come-lately 22 year olds who think that first generation BD Vipers are old! I'm just back in from ice climbing; because it was exceptionally cold today (-20) I wore my Nepal Extremes, bought in summer 2000 and my Buffalo Salopettes, bought I think in 98. Neither are in 'regular gear rotation' but come out when my Trangos and softshell troos won't cut it!
 chiz 02 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA: I have a Primus parrafin stove somewhere -its one of the round brass ones with iron legs and stove rest, originally had leather O-rings. I've had it since I was 16 and it was vintage then. Still worked last time I tried a few years ago. My old Tilly lamp must have been similar age.
 Martin Wright 03 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA: I still have a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy duvet jacket from the late 1970s. Too scruffy for work now, but still in regular use for climbing & walking trips.
 TobyA 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Martin Wright: Excellent, although down is almost cheating as it last so well if not compressed. Everybody slags off TNF Nuptse down jackets for being chav, but I bought mine in 1995 and it was keeping me cosy last sunday at -17 still.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...