UKC

MSR Reactor CO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
needvert 07 Feb 2012
Thinking of getting a reactor, but hear that the newer version has reduced carbon monoxide output.

Any one know how to differentiate between the two? My local store probably has no idea and due to it being an uncommon item may have been on the shelf a long time.
ice.solo 07 Feb 2012
In reply to needvert:

dunno, but have used reactors in tents lots of times with the usual precautions.

in my opinion tho, the jetboil sumo, whilst not quite as powerful, is much better suited for tent use.
needvert 08 Feb 2012
So what do you prefer about the sumo, or dislike about the reactor, for tent use?

(The reactor caught my attention due to reports regarding working well in the wind and being quiet.)

Will be mostly 1-2 person use so Reactor may be too big regardless of other issues
ice.solo 08 Feb 2012
In reply to needvert:

the jetboil clips together, is easily used hanging, the base is cooler to put down, the handle is flush with the pot, the pot is insulated, the stove base sits up when the canister is removed, it can be moved more easily and the heat indicator minimizes opeing the lid and filling the tent with steam.

all huge pluses in a cramped tent surrounded by flammable and moisture affected gear.

using a hanging stove inside a tent is so much safer that alone wins for me.

i love the reactor for its output, and its large glow area rather than an actual flame is a plus on its side, but in a tent in the wind its an accident waiting to happen.

sumo is fractionally smaller than a reactor.
a good size for two as you save a bit of fuel heating water less times.
if your melting snow anything smaller takes forever.

yes, ive spent a lot of time, alone with a stove in a tent to ponder all this
needvert 09 Feb 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

Hmm, what would you pick for mostly solo alpine adventures?

I have an XGK and a pocket rocket, I tend to take the latter when it's just me at closer to sea level pursuits.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...