UKC

Waterproof Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Usjes 12 Feb 2012
Hi,

I am looking for a new waterproof jacket and have a few technical questions. I cycle everywhere so I will be carrying this jacket in my backpack every day so it needs to be:

1. 100% waterproof and breathable.
2. As light and packable as possible, therefore I am looking for just an outer shell weighing < 500g

I am wondering about GoreTex vs. other proprietary materials. Basically, I have a feeling that there is a trade-off here:
- GoreTex = permanently waterproof with minimal (or no?) maintenence but stiffer/heavier
- Lowe A. TriplePoint/Sprayway HydroDry/NorthFace HyVent = become less waterproof over time and therfore require respraying (eg with Granger's Extreme) but are less stiff, lighter and more packable.

Is this true? Or will a GoreTex jacket need to be resprayed just as often as these other fabrics, and is GoreTex neccessarily stiffer/heavier than other fabrics?

For reference the kind of things I am considering are:
http://www.sprayway.com/products.php?product=226&cID=145
or the insanely light (290g) Salomon:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/just-in---salomon-mountain-crossing-...
Can something this light really be waterproof?

Thanks,

Usjes
 simonclimbs 12 Feb 2012
In reply to Usjes: Gore Tex Active Shell or eVent. Montane do some really light weight eVent stuff. Nothing else will come close for waterproofing, breathability or durability. they are just false economy.
 Michael Ryan 12 Feb 2012
In reply to Usjes:
> Hi,

> 1. 100% waterproof and breathable.

All are waterproof and 'breathable' in ideal lab conditions. In real life, waterproof and breathable are dependent on the construction of the jacket you wear, its face fabric, what you wear under it, what activity you are doing, and the weather conditions (especially humidity).

You will have to look after any 'waterproof and breathable' jacket you buy.

There are various types of GORE fabrics, eVent fabrics, Polartec Neoshell and then the propriatary fabric you mention: H2No, DryQ... etc

Some latest info here at UKC: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=4430
DeanPotter 13 Feb 2012
In reply to Usjes: I would like to jump/tag onto this thread as well if that´s ok? I was just wondering whether it is best to purchase north face gear? I have seen that many people use the brand... I am new to climbing, so if anyone can advise what is worth getting and not worth getting? that would be super.

Ta.
 Darkskys 13 Feb 2012
In reply to DeanPotter: NF are a good make but there's many better brands out there!

For cycling to work I use the Mountain Equipment Firefly, GTX paclite really light and a great piece of kit for when I'm walking too! To be honest it's usually kept in my panniers just incase, as for a light shower and every day use I use the Rab Alpine pull over to lee the wind off me and to keep me warm.
 Darkskys 13 Feb 2012
In reply to Usjes: All waterproofs need to be re-proofed every 6 months depending on how much you use them. A Nikiwax reproofer will do the job.
DeanPotter 13 Feb 2012
In reply to Darkskys: Thanks for your guidance here. It´s quite hard coming in to the climbing world to know what is the best etc... it seems that north face has become the fashionable brand! Which everyone goes for who doesn´t actually do any form of outdoor activity! ie public schools and north face gilets!
 gear boy 13 Feb 2012
In reply to Usjes:

If you perspire quite a lot while exercising, no fabric thats waterproof will keep up with your body sweat for a long period of time,

event, active shell and neo shell are about as good as it gets, if moneys no object,

alternatively, depending on how often you use and how long you wear it for, things like a Marmot Mica or essence or Montane Minimus jackets will do the job intended

Purpose of washing and reproofing jkts is because clean clothes work better, think of it like servicing your bike, a well lubricated bike is better than a rusty one, same with technical clothing clean stuff works

event, neoshell and active shell need more maintainence than most due to their higher level performance you look after them more

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...