UKC

Ice axe & crampons needed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
luke0903 13 Feb 2012
Hi, im new to winter walking and wondering if anyone is selling ice axes or crampons second hand or where i can buy some cheap ones from???
 Jack_Lewin 13 Feb 2012
In reply to luke0903:

Got a pair of c2 grivel 2fs if your interested?
luke0903 13 Feb 2012
In reply to Jack_Lewin: Will they fit standard brasher hiking boots?
 ChrisHolloway1 13 Feb 2012
In reply to luke0903: probs not bud, depends on how flexible your boot is as to what kind of crampon you need? C2 crampons as the gent above is offering need a reasonably stiff boot with minimal flex. Do you know which boot you have?
luke0903 13 Feb 2012
In reply to ChrisHolloway1: They are brasher tyana gtx, i bought them not intending of using crampons but have now realised i need crampons when i am walking in scotland
 Jack_Lewin 13 Feb 2012
In reply to luke0903:

No they won't, you'll need new boots.
luke0903 13 Feb 2012
In reply to Jack_Lewin: bloody hell
 muppetfilter 13 Feb 2012
In reply to Jack_Lewin:
> (In reply to luke0903)
>
> No they won't, you'll need new boots.

NO...He needs a crampon suitable to his boots.
luke0903 13 Feb 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: Guide me there....
 Jack_Lewin 13 Feb 2012
In reply to luke0903:

They are b0, so he will need new boots to take crampons, have look at scrapa sl or mammut mountain trail xt as entry level options, they will be good for general walking, get to a shop and try some on before you buy.
 RichJ634 13 Feb 2012
In reply to Jack_Lewin: He will not need new boots at all. There are plenty of crampons out there now that will fit nicely to walking boots. It does depend what sort of ground you intend to go on. On steeper/broken ground it is worth having decent stiffer boots and crampons. If it's just easy walking on gentler rolling hills then there are a number of products out there which ought to do. Take a look at Black Diamond Contact and Grivel Monte Rosa if boots are fairly substantial or Kahtoola Flexi Crampon if your boots are very bendy. http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Crampons/Wa...
 Joss 13 Feb 2012
In reply to luke0903:
> Hi, im new to winter walking and wondering if anyone is selling ice axes or crampons second hand or where i can buy some cheap ones from???

Look for 'Camp walking crampons' on ebay, some on there now- a friend of mine uses them on his soft walking boots. They stay on fine.
 colina 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Joss:
> (In reply to luke0903)
> [...]
>
> Look for 'Camp walking crampons'

i believe gok wan wears camp crampons when he goes ice climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...