UKC

New Zealand Alpinism

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Charlie Boscoe 27 Feb 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm off to a wedding in NZ at the end of the March next year, just wondering if March or April is considered a better month for alpinism over there? Wedding is fixed but my trip isn't
 Graham 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Charlie Boscoe:
Hard to say, 'cause it's so totally weather dependent, but neither is ideal. It also depends what your objective is. Timeframe is sort of equivalent to september and october. Best bet would be to pick something that didn't involve a lot of glaciers and snow/ice. if it's not pouring in the Darrans, there can be some good alpine rock down there.
www.mojozone.co.nz is the climber's forum down there.
Good luck and pack lots of rain gear
Charlie Boscoe 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Graham: Cheers for that. No real fixed objectives but some alpinism or big rocks routes would be good, just seems a shame to go all that way and not get something climbed, even if it is in the rain
 Damo 27 Feb 2012

I think it's been a dry summer so far, glaciers bare, slots open etc, so most of the classic snow ice routes will be crap in March. Something on Malte Brun, west ridge etc, might be ok, if the Darrans are no good.

Or something smaller in the ranges south of Cook. http://barronbrewster.wordpress.com/

BruceM 27 Feb 2012
Since you are well past snow/ice time either way, I would go early rather than later (Mar) for the best gamble on the hot dry rock. Best for swimming in the lakes after too.
 KiwiPrincess 27 Feb 2012
Hi Perfect tome for Darran mountains, Alpine rock.
The Crevasses will be open in the high mountains but choose a route With that in mind.
Day light savings is First Sunday of april and days get shorter.
 AdrianC 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Charlie Boscoe: There's plenty of stuff to be done in either March or April. If it is dry (of which there is a reasonable chance) then, as others have said, the Darrans are the traditional venue at that time of year. But something like Aspiring is fully do-able then too. My best tip is to come with several different kinds of objective in mind then select the ones that best suit the weather & conditions you find when you get here.
Charlie Boscoe 02 Mar 2012
Thanks for your advice everyone, I'll get it booked soon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...