UKC

Fritschi question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 earlsdonwhu 13 Mar 2012
Want to swap bindings onto new skis but.... is there a ski crampon for the Freeride Plus which would fit a 100mm waisted ski. Or are the only extra wide harscheisen the Axioms for the new Freeride Pro bindings?

Thanks
 HeMa 13 Mar 2012
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Not 100 % certain... But you should be able to fit Voile Cramps underneath.
 OwenM 13 Mar 2012
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Diamir-Crampons.html

They come in two widths, see bottom of page.
OP earlsdonwhu 13 Mar 2012
In reply to OwenM: I've got the 100mm ones but need them a little bit wider. Maybe some judicious metal ending!

I'm not looking to do much skinning at all ...never mind on icy slopes! Also, I know that some say that if your skinning technique is really good then ski crampons aren't needed!
OP earlsdonwhu 13 Mar 2012
In reply to HeMa: Will check that out.
craigloon 13 Mar 2012
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I know that some say that if your skinning technique is really good then ski crampons aren't needed!

They lie!
OP earlsdonwhu 14 Mar 2012
In reply to craigloon: They don't say that the alternative is to take skis off and put on normal crampons..... doable but more tiring!
paraffin 14 Mar 2012
In reply to craigloon:
Agreed - I wonder if the person who extoles perfect skinning technique on boilerplate is still alive?
Off course some tourers look on skins as a failure to correctly apply grip wax. What next - barefoot snow skiing?
Davie
 kenr 14 Mar 2012
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
> (They don't say that the alternative is to take skis off
> and put on normal crampons..... doable but more tiring!

Well if the whole slope has a uniformly hard surface which is supportive of going on boots, then it's not necessarily more work to just boot up it carrying skis on pack.
But . . .

If a hard crust is supportable for the larger surface of a ski with ski-crampon, but breakable for the much smaller surface of boot with boot crampon -- then using normal boot crampons is _much_ more work.

The more realistic problem is that the slope varies, so that only a few parts of the slope might require ski-crampons -- and perhaps those would be supportive of going either on boots or on skis -- but most of the slope does not require ski-crampons and is not supportive of booting.

But you don't know in advance where or if you'll need boot-crampons, so without ski-cramons you could end up needing to switch from skis to boots in a very awkward spot -- and then how do you know when it's right to switch back ... and ... later switch again?

Ken

OP earlsdonwhu 15 Mar 2012
In reply to kenr: If it was meant to be easy we could just get skinny skis and stay on the loipes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...