UKC

Rab Alpine 400 vs Alpkit PD400

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Raskolnik 15 Mar 2012
Hey all,
I'm looking to buy a new sleeping bag and was all set to get the Rab Alpine 400 which is on sale at R+R for £165.
http://www.rockrun.com/products/Rab-Alpine-400.html
Then I thought I'd have a look at the Alpkit bags and realised the PD400 is lighter, cheaper and packs smaller than the Rab.
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16415&...
The Alpine 400 is slightly warmer, but I don't think this will be a problem.
A Rab is, however, a Rab!

Basically, I'm looking for people's thoughts on the two bags (particularly people who have used the Alpine 400, or both, as there's not much info on it online). Is the Rab worth going for on quality grounds??

Thanks!
 edinburgh_man 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Raskolnik:

Hi,

I have an Pipedream 400 and I also had a Rab Summit 700.

Personally I think that the quality of the Pipedream is better than the Rab.

I've now got rid of the Rab and probably wouldn't buy another by choice.

Cheers
OP Raskolnik 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Ross Mathers:

Really? That's interesting.. I know Alpkit's stuff is good, but I expected the Rab bag to be better quality.
In reply to Raskolnik:
I'll second that, had a RAB summit 700 and a new Alpine 600 very dissapointed no where near there temp claims and I'm a warm sleeper I had an older RAB summit 600 much better than both bags.
OP Raskolnik 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Billy Walker:
Thanks for your input guys. Looks like the Alpkit is probably the better bag then, as I can't see any other reason than quality to go for the Rab.
The Alpkit seems to be better in every other regard, despite the Alpine 400 being a much more expensive bag (before the sale).
srshaw 16 Mar 2012
I've got a pipedream 800 and rab neutrino 400.

The rab is a bit nicer than the pipedream (dry bag stuff sack and just seems better put together), but theres not much in it.

If I was buying again, I would probably get the pipe dream, although I do like my rab.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...