UKC

Footwear for GR20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 isi_o 29 Mar 2012
Hi folks,
Wanting some thoughts on footwear choices for walking the northern section of the GR20 in October, possibly adding in some peaks on the way. I've a pair of lightweight scrambling boots, but I'm tempted to avoid taking them and go in trail/ approach shoes if I can. I really dislike wearing boots! I've done quite a bit of walking and scrambling around the Scottish hills in shoes, including a few bigger days like a Cuillin traverse, big ridges on the Ben and stuff so think the ankles should handle it ok. Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on pros and cons of either?
Cheers,
Isi
 goatee 30 Mar 2012
In reply to isi_o: All going well trail shoes should be fine. One consideration is that at that time of year you could get very wintery conditions. Some of the passes are well over 2000meters.
 Max factor 30 Mar 2012
In reply to goatee:

Trail shoes might be OK in fine weather, however they are more likely to get wet, and in a spell of bad weather you are not going to have a chance to dry them. In October you can also begin to expect snow.

Also if you go in October, it is 'fin du saison', everything is ferme. Refuges will be unmanned, and any bits you can buy on the trail will be limited as stock is run down for the close season.

Public transport is also virtually non-existant once you go past 30 September. You might be aware of all this, but if not it's much easier if you plan to be off the island by the end September.
OP isi_o 30 Mar 2012
In reply to isi_o:
Cheers guys. Yeah - I'm aware that weather could be wintery, and that everything is out of season and closed. It's the only time we can go though, so going to try and make it work! If it looks like the weather is going to be poor then we'll probably go climbing instead, or maybe walk some of the southern section.
Isi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...