UKC

Metolius master cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris687 14 Apr 2012
Does anyone have any good advice on how to release seized up master cams.
I have 2 slightly different problems:

Size 2: The middle two lobes move as one unit, I think they are both stuck to the through axle as this turns with them. However, the two middle lobes should spring back individually with the axle remaining stationary.

Size 3: One of the outside lobes seems stuck to the axle, this means that everything appears fine until the other three lobes are seated. Then the other one just hangs uselessly, not springing back to position.

Do Metolius do a cam surgery service?
Any advice please I really can't afford to buy two new cams..
 Hannes 14 Apr 2012
In reply to chris687: Have you tried WD40? Metolius cam clean and then cam lube can work as well but I imagine it is less likely you have that in the house. Using Pliers to break them loose from the axle can work as well
OP chris687 14 Apr 2012
In reply to chris687:

I have tried:

Metolius cam lube - no good

WD40 - no good

Manipulation of lobes with pliers - no good

Rinsing in water just below boiling to clean - no good

Tapping the axle from one end then the other - no good

Buying dragon cams?...
 Hannes 14 Apr 2012
In reply to chris687: wild country zeros or aliens rather in those sizes
 Col Kingshott 14 Apr 2012
In reply to chris687: I had the same problem with a size 00. No good advice for you though, I tried everything and couldn't free it. Just bought a new one in the end.

Col.
 Captain Gear 15 Apr 2012
In reply to colk1000 and chris687:

I had the same problem with one of my master cams. I returned it to Beyond Hope the UK distributor and they replaced it fee of charge.

HTH
 Col Kingshott 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Captain Gear: Cheers, I'll speak to them tomorrow.

Col.
 Aigen 16 Apr 2012
In reply to chris687: Try this. 1. Put the effected area in coca cola for 1 night. Metolius cams are a pain for getting siezed up. Salt air in particular.
 SCC 16 Apr 2012
In reply to chris687:

Try a penetrating oil combined with tapping the axle and pliers to try to move the lobes.

Repeated long soaking will be required, not just a quick spray.

Si

PS WD40 is not a penetrating oil, but is better than nothing. If possible get Duck Oil - brilliant stuff for freeing up seized components.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...