UKC

Donautal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nick Wharton 23 Apr 2012
Anyone know much about Donautal in Germany, both from climbing and general fun-for-all-the-family activities?
 Neil R 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Nick Wharton: Had a few days climbing at the Zinne's in the woods near Hausen. Good limestone climbing in a nice area, a bit like Dovedale but as we were just stopping off on the way back from the Frankenjura can't recommend any other activities. Sigmaringen was a reasonable size and may have had a swimming pool.
Moggsy 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Nick Wharton: It's pretty awesome for climbing, trail cycling and camping / fishing.

Routes are very polished or very hard though, was a few years back so can't remember specifics... But worth a visit!
cb294 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Nick Wharton:

Which end? Excellent climbing near Ulm, but also near Regensburg/Weltenburg. A good small kids, crap weather alternative near Ulm would be Legoland in Günzburg. Regensburg is a great medieval city that has almost a feel of Tuscany about it. Great beers near Regensburg as well.

CB
 scott titt 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Neil R:
>
Sigmaringen was a reasonable size and may have had a swimming pool.

Sigmaringen has an open air pool (with an 80m water slide) in a park on the bank of the Danube .

In reply to the OP
Canadian canoe paddling is a top activity on the Upper Danube (as on most Bavarian rivers of any size); Google gives lots of results for rentals. Higher up the Danube is quite small and is ideal for ordinary paddling (of the rolled up trousers sort!) and general messing about in a river.
I have paddled (canoe) quite a lot of the Upper Danube but have never climbed there (because I lived in the Southern Frankenjura!) There are extensive bird bans, but there is a lot of rock.

russtyg 24 Apr 2012

I'm off to Hausen im Tal this weekend for two days, I'll report back next week. From my research, it looks good in a nice area.

I also wanted to ask a previous chap who posted earlier: Where is the good climbing near Ulm? can it be accesses via public transport or Mountain bikes from Ulm? Crag names?

Cheers!
cb294 24 Apr 2012
In reply to russtyg:

The best crags near Ulm are probably near Blaubeuren. There is public transport, but it is also easy MTB distance from Ulm. There is an excellent Topo guide by Panico which you should get in any local bookshop.
Hausen im Tal is right next to the Donau valley crags, there is also a guidebook from the same company.

Christian
 AlanLittle 24 Apr 2012
In reply to cb294:

The area further east towards Regensburg is covered in the Panico Frankenjura Süd and looks well impressive. It has some huge 40 metre single pitch (somewhat) sport climbing with a reputation for spaced gear and stiff grades. I haven't climbed there yet. (Ahem)
 jimtitt 24 Apr 2012
In reply to AlanLittle:
You mean you´ve never been to Konstein (longest non-alpine route in Germany) or delightful Schonhofen or slid off something polished in the Altmuhltal? You pocket-pullers are all the same! We´ll have to arrange a trip one day.

Jim
Pete Cole 24 Apr 2012
Climbed there in the 1990's. Many crags closed by bird bans. Not sports climbing by Costa standards. Many easier/mid grade routes only have 2/3 bolts in a 50 metre pitch so worth taking some wires/slings.Beautiful location above the Danube(Dona in German) river though.
 Heike 24 Apr 2012

Great cragging on limestone, otherwise there is swimming in the river, canoing, cycling, sightseeing and beer drinking. It's a nice place!
 Green Porridge 24 Apr 2012

I don't know the Donautal very well, but I am well acquainted with the Altmühltal, which is the valley just north of it. There's lots of good climbing there (though, as someone said, often polished or hard), and it's generally a very pretty area. How long are you there for?

Tim
 jimtitt 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Green Porridge:
The Donautal climbing area is a fair way over to the west in the Schwäbische Alb, just north of the west end of the Bodensee and considerably nearer France than the Altmühltal (and probably less than 50km from Switzerland).
The climbing near Regensburg and the Altmühltal is the Donaudurchbruch which comes under the Southern Frankenjura.
Nick Wharton 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Nick Wharton: Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sounds like it will be worth a visit. Cheers

Nick
 digby 26 Apr 2012

There's a nice wee campsite in Hausen im Tal. Inviting crags round about but never having a partner I've not climbed. But there's lovely running along the valley and up into the woods above. Sigmarinen up the road has a reasonable campsite but which may be infested with very large and noisy school groups. There is a cheap supermarket.

It's a nice area!
 AlanLittle 26 Apr 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
> (In reply to AlanLittle)
> You mean you´ve never been to Konstein

I've been to Konstein and rather like it. I was more referring to Bischofsbucht etc., which I have only looked at on non-climbing visits such as when I took my mother in law to Schloss Prunn.
 russtyg 29 Apr 2012

Just got back from two days cragging in Donautal, it was a lovely area, very pretty scenery.

Rock wise, we were on low grades and there were plenty of these but they could get very busy. Bit polished in places but not too bad. Not too much in the way of protection though, sparse bolts and long run outs! Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...