UKC

Low-grade MTB routes in the Yorkshire Dales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 26 Apr 2012
Hello all,

I'm taking my first experimental steps (or pedal-pushes, as the case may be) on a mountain bike at the moment, and I'm looking for very easy routes so I can build some confidence. I live just outside Skipton and I have a car, so I have much splendour on my doorstep.

We have the Vertebrate Publishing Yorkshire Dales: South guide already.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
 Rubbishy 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

THe run from the top of Embsay moor along tothe top of Rylestone is quite straightforward. mostrly wide track with some nice views.

Beamsley Beacon is likewsie fairly steady, with a bit of a grunt in the last 500m, then down the ridge, and down to the top of Curly Hill to see how the other half live.

You could try the transmitter route at the top of Silsden Moor - if you do tea and jaffa cakes are avaialable at chez Rubbishy, assuming I am in.

The ridge along the top of Skipton moor is a good run, drop into Skipdale, into Emsbay, quick poo / jump / bowl of l'ortolan at yer hoose and then up onto the top of the moor via the old track near the ice cream factory. From there, go right, and follow the hilltop and then a nice descent into Bolton Abbey. Poddle home via Halton East.

Thee are also some routes on Ilkley Moor but they are secret and I would have to kill you if I told you and the cost of duffel bags is extertionate these days.
OP Tall Clare 26 Apr 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

Hmm - I know the run across Embsay Moor is one of 'im indoors' favourites for a quick blast - suspect that in my utterly portly and feeble state it might be a bit much for me at the moment. Yes, I am that lame.

I'll have a look at the suggestions on the map though - thank you!

(as an aside, have you discovered Strava - it's like garmin thingys where you can share what you do but with this you can time yourself against every other bugger in the area too!)
 Andy Hudson 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
There is a very easy route that goes from Gargrave to Bell Busk to Coniston Cold to East Marton, returning along Leeds Liverpool Canal to Gargrave. There is a pub on East Marton and there used to be a cafe as well. Its nearly all off road but nothing too serious or technical. You could probably work the route out from the places mentioned but if not i could give you more details

It may be a little too easy though. depending on your experience
 MHutch 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

As someone in your position about a year ago, here goes:

As a rule, there is usually nothing much technical on Dales bridleways.

Local:

1) Leeds Liverpool Towpath to Gargrave - up Mark House Lane then BW over the back to pick up the Eshton-Malham Road. Follow this up to Airton, branch left then down BW towards Bell Busk. Either back up Mark House lane etc or you can lengthen it using BWs to pick up the canal a bit further down. Not too much climbing, bit bumpy in places, save for dryish conditions.

2) As described above, the BW from Rylstone over the back to Bolton Abbey is great. A tough climb to start - pushing is permitted for now! Then really nice singletrack with some loose rocky bits which may have your feet down - see how much you can do clean. Then easy track all the way down to the road. Lots of choices here - either carry on to Bolton Abbey using BWs, head straight over and down Moor Lane then back to Embsay, or just say 'bugger this' and go straight back on tarmac.

3) Sharp Haw - up Brackenley Lane, down Grassington Road, off up Bog Lane, carry on up the track at the top, then either branch off right onto BW which skirts Sharp Haw itself (muddy), or stay on the nice track (not a ROW) and head round through the woods and down to Flasby. You could tack this onto either of 1) or 2) by either heading down to Gargrave or up to Hetton and across to Rylstone.

4) If you had a bit longer, and drier conditions, head over to Hetton, then up Moor Lane, then follow BWs which eventually join Mastiles Lane just above Kilnsey. Lunch in the Trout Farm, then you can make a nice loop that ends in Grassington by following the steep BW up from Conistone, heading into Mossdale, then picking up good tracks which loop around to join Moor Lane down into Grassington. Again the last bit isn't ROW, but is fun and easy.

Car stuff.

I always end up recommending this, but it's great - short, v pretty, tea shop in Feizor...I start from Austwick and miss out the tunnels altogether.

http://www.mtbthedales.org.uk/mtb-tunnels_and_bridges.pdf

Horse 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Have a look on this site:

http://www.mtbthedales.org.uk/mtb-home/mtb-findaroute.htm

This is a good starter:

http://www.mtbthedales.org.uk/mtb-home/mtb-findaroute/mtb-route-tunnelsbrid...

You might struggle a bit on the section from Long Scar down to the tunnels because it is a bumpy, downhill, stone track. You could walk that bit or find another way back. The rest is fine and dandy. There is scope for making shorter loops but that would involve more road.
 MHutch 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Oh, and Gisburn Forest trail centre is about 30 mins drive away from Skipton. The Blue Route there is very pleasant, with a couple of sections that will 'improve' you - takes about an hour in total. Worth it if everything else is bogged out.
 MHutch 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
>
> This is a good starter:
>
> http://www.mtbthedales.org.uk/mtb-home/mtb-findaroute/mtb-route-tunnelsbrid...
>
> You might struggle a bit on the section from Long Scar down to the tunnels because it is a bumpy, downhill, stone track. You could walk that bit or find another way back. The rest is fine and dandy. There is scope for making shorter loops but that would involve more road.

Snap!

Long Lane (the descent) is OK except for one short steeper section near the top. You could also do the loop in reverse (up Long Lane, down the grassy bit into Crummackdale).

I'll shut-up now.
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Ah - I think this might be the one my friend has mentioned to me. I'll have a look!
In reply to MHutch:

The Sharp Haw route looks good - we walked up there the other day and on down to Flasby, then back on that path. Mr TC's done Sharp Haw and Rough Haw as part of bigger routes. Again, good call.

I've heard good things about the Feizor tea shop
In reply to Horse:

Thanks for this - will have a look

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...