UKC

conville alpine coarse 27th june...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ford23 07 May 2012
Hi,

I've been accepted on the Conville Alpine Course beginning on the 27th June. I'm looking for anyone who is also going on this course (or will be around at this time) who would be interested in staying in Chamonix for a week or two after and getting in some good climbing.

I'd also be interested in some general information regarding my time there. I'm coming from Durham, and thinking at the moment of flying to Annecy as this seems to be the cheapest way of getting there. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Any suggestions regarding good, intermediate climbs around Chamonix would be great as well.
 Petarghh 07 May 2012
In reply to sethmford:

Flying is cheap but consider that transfers cost £50, and you are limited on baggage. the cheapest method i've found is the eurolines bus for about £100 return.

As for climbs there are thousands, intermediate is a little ambiguous. It depends on what kind of thing you want to do; rock, ice, mixed.. etc.

Other than that some tips i can think of:

Get a lift pass, don't be stingy. I've walked in to the Argentiere hut from the valley and after that I bought a lift pass and never looked bag

Go to midnight express and Bar d' up at least once!

Try to use free bivi huts, or plan routes around them if you're short on cash (Kuffner arete is a good exmple)

Dont waste time in the valley umming and aahing, try to get out climbing or doing something every day, just be clever and plan around weather forecasts, be prepared to travel.

Stay at Bernards campsite !

Visit the guides office for route beta and get an enlarged copy of a topo if your route is intricate!

Grill the guides on the conville and get as much info as possible.

Acclimatise!

HTH. Pete.
OP ford23 21 May 2012
In reply to Petarghh: thanks thats awesome.
i cant find busses that go there though? however i think its going to work out for me to go home ( pyranese) first and then fly from there cheapest.
in terms of routes i don't really know what's around tbh. other than the picturesque steep snowfield ascents i was hoping for some mixed climbing however i dont know how much is around at that time of year. in terms of level i dont know where i stands however ive lead mixed 4s in scotland and 4 and 5 on icefalls at home. what is the best way to go about choosing climbs to a certain standard? also do you know roughly how much passes cost for the lifts? thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...