UKC

Ski Mountaineering Races 2012/13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
di gilbert 10 May 2012
If there was to be a series of, say 5, ski mountaineering races to be held in Scotland during the 2012/2013 season how much interest would their realistically be?
 galpinos 10 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:

I'd be keen.....

....but as I'm in Manchester wouldn't necessarily be able to make all five. If there was a "best three results from the five races" style set-up that would appeal more to those unable to commit to the drive north for 5 weekends.
 Chad123 10 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:

I'd be very interested (as would my wife) but I think the main stumbling block is equipment - not many people I know have the fancy lightweight skis and boots (and sexy lycra!) needed to compete realistically. It's a lot of money to invest in a few races....
 galpinos 10 May 2012
In reply to Chad123:
> not many people I know have the fancy lightweight skis and boots (and sexy lycra!) needed to compete realistically.

I was intending on rocking up with my normal kit? It's reasonably lightweight (Matrix and Dynafits on lightish skis) but I imagine most people rocking up would be in the same boat?
 Chad123 10 May 2012
In reply to galpinos:

Yeah just jealous cos my bandits, fritschi bindings and scarpa tornado boots (though fun to ski) just don't cut it for speed ascents and I'm too broke to splash out on lighter stuff!
 galpinos 10 May 2012
In reply to Chad123:

Well, if I manage to get enough cash together and a suitable plan to get them into the house without my wife noticing them, I shall be trading up for a heavier but harder charging set-up for next winter so I shall be whinging at the back of the pack with you!
 girlymonkey 10 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:
I am not very competative, but it would be a fun challenge! I reckon I would be up for it, and I guess my husband might well be too.
di gilbert 11 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert: The plan will be to have 5 races during the season. To be honest, I would expect that the majority of people will be on heavy metal - I should try and get irn bru to sponsor it! Many people race on the continent on heavy touring kit and still have a complete laugh. The big thing will be to introduce people to the sport and have fun - they will be small races. www.skimoscotland.co.uk is currently being worked on just now. If anyone has any questions, please ask here or on the BWSMT Facebook page which will be used until the Skimo Scotland page is published (www.facebook.com/pages/British-Womens-Ski-Mountaineering-Team). The reason for the initial question is to know how many people to expect for stovies at the end of the night
 Blinder 11 May 2012
In reply to Chad123: Now I am tempted!!!
Mark Crampton
 edinburgh_man 11 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:

I would be very interested.

Thanks
Bobz 11 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert: Im interested
 dmhigg 11 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert: Please make them Sundays: I work Saturdays! It'll be interesting to see where you're planning the courses. You're going to need some pretty steep descents to prevent lightweight nordic touring skis being the most efficient and speedy way of getting around. I'm not unfit but climbing wise (even when I'm on Telemarks) them pesky nordic types just disappear into the distance.
 Blinder 11 May 2012
In reply to dmhigg: Generaly Nordic touring kit is banned. In Eurpope there are quite tight rules about skis being over 160 cm long and around 55- 60 under foot........ However light weight kit is about 3 kg (boots, bindings, and skis).
 Flashy 11 May 2012
In reply to Chad123: Having the latest lightweight kit isn't what's required to compete realistically, it's skill and fitness. Unfortunately you can't just buy skill and fitness so we're marketed the kit and end up thinking that's what we need.
 Blinder 11 May 2012
In reply to Flashy: 'Having the latest lightweight kit isn't what's required to compete realistically' no but is sure helps. The weight difference between race and freeride kit is over 3 kg. i.e. the differecne between old school plactics and running shoes.

Saying that I only manged to get 30 seconds on my little brother over the winter on 30 mins of accent with me on race kit and him on free ride kit (inc Fritchies).
 Flashy 11 May 2012
In reply to Blinder: It makes a difference if you're of similar skill and fitness.
 Chad123 11 May 2012
In reply to Blinder:

Yeah just think how embarrassing it'll be when I whoop yo sorry ass on my heavy skis! My vote is for a ben nevis race up one gully and down another....

PS Nice to finally know who Blinder is, I've spent years wondering who the loudmouth was - liked the Ben Nevis pic comments! Makes perfect sense now....
 dmhigg 11 May 2012
In reply to Chad123: Scotland being what it is (i.e. non-alpine) it would be fun to leave out the equipment rules, so that you get to travel the flats and ups quickly provided you're willing to struggle on the downs.
di gilbert 11 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert: equipment would be the same as on the continent - http://www.ski-alpinisme.com/materiel.php (in french) but all this will be put onto the skimo scotland website when I master the art of website design!
Alan Thompson 11 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:
Hi Di,
Have been thinking recently that this would be a good idea, i know a few folk who would be interested. I am definitely interested but only use telemark kit and my current set ups are comparable in weight / heavier than some Dynafits etc so no advantages there!
Maybe include tele set ups with alpine camber skiis? Or a separate class? Sounds like great crack though!!!
Alan
 DaveHK 11 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:

This was mooted a while ago but nowt came of it.

I'd be keen.
 James Edwards 11 May 2012
In reply to DaveHK:
I looked into doing this and i found that it would have been a lot of work to do well; liaison with ski fields, insurence, website building, etc etc. I didn't have the time to do what it would have taken.
I did plan to organise an 'honesty' race with a website page that would store times verified by gps logs but then come January there was no snow so I put it on a back burner for next winter. Hats off to Di for stepping up to the plate as I know what level of commitment this will take.
I will wax the trabs in anticipation.
James e
P.s. I raced a friend over to macdui recently. He is a high level fell runner and ran on spring snow in Walshes. He beat me so I recommend a kit check that the racers actually have a pair of skis with them!
 French Erick 11 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:
if i'm allowed to compete on my teles (I don't want a special category...teles are a great excuse for being shit!) I'd be keen to do a few, unlikely all 5, as it's a big commitment if climbing conditions are good.
 Blinder 11 May 2012
In reply to Chad123: (totally off topic) was thinking about you last weekend when I flew from Lewis to Edinburgh, great views of the Ben looking at all the gullys. Anyway hope you are well and all the best with pushing the bun from the oven. MC
 Fiona Reid 12 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:

We'd probably be up for the odd race. would you let split boards in? The other half can't ski but he's pretty decent on a board.
di gilbert 12 May 2012
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to di gilbert)
>
> This was mooted a while ago but nowt came of it.
>
> I'd be keen.

Hi Dave, yes very aware that this has been spoken about in the past and I agree that nothing came of it. However, I'm pretty determined to get this off the ground Di

di gilbert 12 May 2012
In reply to James Edwards: Hi James, was going to be pinging you a message to let you know that I was going to be doing it. 6 weeks of non weight bearing has given me a few weeks that I wasn't expecting to have and having just come back from the Alps racing was very fresh in my mind Hope all is good and hopefully catch up on the hill soon *wave*
 Cuthbert 12 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:

I'd like to be involved in organising and helping if I can. I'd also recommend involving the Scottish Ski Club as they have a hut on CairnGorm, and other areas, and a history of races, if not recently.
di gilbert 15 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert: The home of ski mountaineering racing in Scotland has just been launched. www.skimoscotland.co.uk

Got to start somewhere ...
 galpinos 15 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert:

Bookmarked, just need some content now!
 ross 15 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert: Myself and at least 4 of my friends would definitely compete in some of these races. We'd all be on well scratched heavy freeride gear, I'm sure most folks would. I think tele's should definitely be included, just coz I think they look cool.
Good luck with this project, Ross.
di gilbert 15 May 2012
In reply to galpinos: ah, content, yes that might help Its taken ages to figure how it all works but I'm getting there thanks for support, di
di gilbert 15 May 2012
In reply to ross: Hi Ross, there will be a class for folk sticking to ISMF regulations and also an open category for folk on tele kit etc. Its just for fun thanks for supporting us
 doz 26 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert: Sounds fun.....is trainers and a plastic sledge allowed?
 dmhigg 27 May 2012
In reply to doz: Sledge mountaineering: I spot a niche market...
di gilbert 30 May 2012
In reply to di gilbert: Just incase you're still not convinced, Ben Bardsley has just wrote a very good article for the BMC about ski mountaineering race - http://thebmc.co.uk/warning--ski-mountaineering--racing--highly-addictive-c...
 doz 30 May 2012
In reply to dmhigg: Definitely the lightweight approach...though axe definitely recommended for coming down
Haggis_trap7 03 Jun 2012
In reply to di gilbert:

Ski mountainering race ?
Go for it...

Though a series of 5 races might be ambitious? Not only would the entries be diluted, but you then need 5 weekeds with suitable conditions for each event.

Touring is obviously getting really popular in Scotland and I am sure you would get reasonable interest. However.... there is no real 'light weight rando' culture in Scotland. (even dyanfit is relatively rare, but becoming more common). Someone like myself might enter for the 'craic' - but no matter how fit you are it would near impossible to keep up with the lycra / trab 'rando-spanker' brigade if you were trying to race on heavier free-ride orientated gear (that 99% of scottish tourers use)

alasdair19 03 Jun 2012
In reply to di gilbert: I'm keen probably in the tele category, looking forward to comedy de skinning in a gale!?
mysterion 03 Jun 2012
In reply to di gilbert:

I would be interested. I have a 'near-race' lightweight touring setup but need some practice!
di gilbert 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Haggis_trap7:

If we are going to do it, lets go for broke

There will be 5 races this season - one per month, starting from December running through to April. Courses have already been agreed with both the Lecht and Nevis Range.

To be honest, I think the majority of racers will be in heavy kit, but that's fine and its pretty normal to see heavy kit racers starting on the start line next to the lycra brigade in the alps. Therefore, I think most people will be entering for the craic. Been giving the opportunity to use both the Lecht and Nevis Range when the slopes are empty will be an amazing opportunity.

We plan to press launch the events towards the end of june when we have all the courses in place and on the website (www.skimoscotland.co.uk) and then a big push when winter starts.

And if there's no snow or its blowing a gale, we just cancel - unfortunately that's just the nature of the beast but we can but try ...
di gilbert 04 Jun 2012
In reply to alasdair19: I don't think you will be the only person in the 'open' category
 andyinglis 04 Jun 2012
In reply to di gilbert: Sounds great. I'd certainly be keen and can think of half a dozen others that would be too! If you organise it, they will come! ...... couldn't resist the waynes world reference!

Cheers
Andy
di gilbert 25 Jun 2012
In reply to di gilbert: Latest news is that we now have Lecht, Glenshee, Glencoe and Nevis Range on board. We have a meeting with Cairngorm later this week to try and gain the full house. Still planning to have all the information up on the website next week.
di gilbert 28 Jun 2012
In reply to di gilbert: Due to unseen circumstances the meeting with Cairngorm has been postponed. Will just have to keep you in suspense a little bit longer ...
di gilbert 02 Aug 2012
In reply to di gilbert: The Skimo Scotland website has been refreshed with all the race information for this coming season. Regular updates will be done through the Facebook page. Thanks for all encouraging messages from the UKC community, hopefully a few of you will actually take part Thanks again, Di

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...