/ Everest Exped Discovery Channel Thursday 9pm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
greycarsdave - on 14 May 2012
The Ultimate Climb, Discovery, Thursday 9pm. TV show about the youngest british climbers attempt on Everest.

Dave
Milesy - on 14 May 2012
In reply to greycarsdave:

That looks terrible.
greycarsdave - on 14 May 2012
Sorry its not up to your standards. How exactly?
Milesy - on 14 May 2012
In reply to greycarsdave:

The Everest Circus. I am all for the locals getting work, and people doing something for their own purposes but I am against the circus that follows these challenges and "new records". "The first 12 year old half human half dolphin" etc.
greycarsdave - on 14 May 2012
Fair enough. Hopefully he comes across in a good way, and not just for a marketing ploy. Seems to have good intentions on his website.
A Longleat Boulderer - on 14 May 2012
In reply to greycarsdave:

Geordie (the climber in question), is a good friend and climbing partner of mine having us studied together for the past four years in Scotland. His success on the seven summits at such an early age is - in my biased view - an exceptional effort.

Geordie worked tirelessly to raise all the funds necessary for these expeditions and showed tremendous resilience on an adventure that took several years of his life to complete.

I’ve not seen the show though I’ve heard lots about what it will entail from Geordie, he asks us in the climbing community to be aware it will be directed towards the masses and with that comes the usual over-hype and dramatic use of language. Nonetheless, he feels that if just one person is inspired by his adventure then it was worth it.

While many armchair climbers will call Everest a ‘farce’ or a ‘circus’, and while the Seven Summits may be a ‘tick list’ it still takes commitment, determination and resilience of a degree higher than many of us to even set about the journey to attempt, let alone succeed.

Milesy, with all due respect, I’d ask you to reserve passing judgment on things like this (Everest being the classic oft bashed accomplishment) until you have something better to offer. If you live by that sentiment (as I try) you will go far.
Milesy - on 14 May 2012
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

I am allowed my opinion regardless of whether you know the person. I can call it a farce if I want because I believe it is. I do not need to do something better to prove anything.
A Longleat Boulderer - on 14 May 2012
In reply to Milesy:

Of course you're entitled to your opinion! And I was of course referring to the general scenario and not that of a friend.

I have never been a fan of tarring everything with the same brush and I am just advising caution. The best way to highlight distaste is to lead by example and this does not include best grylls bashing, Everest ascent belittling, adventure challenge or record dismissing talk. People climb for their own reasons, we must respect that regardless.
Milesy - on 14 May 2012
Why are you asking to reserve passing judgement? What gives you the right to tell me to not have and express my opinion? Especially on a public forum. You are entitled to yours but not to opress mine.

Our opinions do not really blossom into fruition until we have expressed them to someone else. Mark Twain.
Hendofan - on 15 May 2012
In reply to Milesy:
Relax man of course you can have an opinion but its still an amazing achievement at his age. Since you like quotes how about this one.

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming.
Damo on 15 May 2012
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:
> (In reply to Milesy)
... I am just advising caution. The best way to highlight distaste is to lead by example and this does not include best grylls bashing, Everest ascent belittling, adventure challenge or record dismissing talk. People climb for their own reasons, we must respect that regardless.

No, we 'must' not. We choose to, or not, based on what we feel deserves it. You may present evidence and argument that shows our view to be unfounded, misguided, wrong or otherwise inferior. We may argue back. Either side may choose to remain silent.

As for distaste, I find your pompous sermonising extremely distasteful. This is a forum, not a fan club. It's for an exchange of ideas, information and opinions, even with those with which you disagree. It's not a tea party where we politely avert our gaze and move on because you tell us to.

Fortunately, your attitude shown here need not reflect poorly on the considerable achievement of your friend.
A Longleat Boulderer - on 15 May 2012
In reply to Damo:

Ok, well I strongly disagree. I am not in the game of belittling anyone's achievement from my armchair and I never will be. I struggle to understand those who feel it appropriate.

Secondly, you're right, my "attitude" has nothing to do with the achievement of my friend. I have already explained the generalised nature of my gripe, namely the ugly side of armchair dismissal. Why would what I say reflect on a friend?!

Call me pompous, call it a 'fan club', call it whatever you want. If I see a comment belittling anyone's effort or achievement I will not allow it to pass. And neither should you.
AdCo82 on 15 May 2012
In reply to greycarsdave:

Got it set to record!!!
Milesy - on 15 May 2012
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:
> If I see a comment belittling anyone's effort or achievement I will not allow it to pass. And neither should you.

Maybe we have different ideas of what a personal achivement is. A working single mother, or recovering alcoholic/drug addict gets massive more respect from me than someone who has bagged some mountains.
Damo on 15 May 2012
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:
> (In reply to Damo)
>
> ... I will not allow it to pass.

I thought I recognised you!
http://www.creativedeconstruction.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Monty_Python_bridge.jpg
A Longleat Boulderer - on 15 May 2012
In reply to Milesy:

Yes. And as you say yourself that person who has bagged some mountains should still receive some respect. So we are agreed?
A Longleat Boulderer - on 15 May 2012
In reply to Damo:

I thought about that as I posted! Epic scene.
IHaveADream - on 16 May 2012
In reply to greycarsdave: Well I look forward to watching it. Thanks for sharing that it's on, would have missed it otherwise.
MargaretR on 31 May 2012 - host-92-3-249-125.as43234.net
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer: I'm unable to 'offer something better', but with a good knowledge of Mountaineering History I could direct you to many who could.
tom_in_edinburgh - on 31 May 2012
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

> Call me pompous, call it a 'fan club', call it whatever you want. If I see a comment belittling anyone's effort or achievement I will not allow it to pass. And neither should you.

I would belittle the achievement of religious people who flog themselves with chains spiked with nails, though it clearly requires considerable effort and willpower. The fact that I wouldn't have the nerve to whip myself with a nail spiked chain is irrelevant to my conclusion that it is a crazy and undesirable activity and not a real 'achievement'.

I'm less sure about climbing Everest, I can see arguments both ways, but I don't see why people who believe the Everest 'circus' is undesirable should not 'belittle' the achievement as a way of persuading others not to take part.





ads.ukclimbing.com
mr pointy on 31 May 2012 - client-86-23-32-6.brhm.adsl.virginmedia.com
you say he raised funds himself do you mean working to earn the cash or do u mean charity bashing /begging just out of intrest...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.