/ Powerful head torch for night navigation and biking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gav M - on 15 May 2012
Strange time of year to ask I know, but the nights will soon be drawing in and I am keen to equip myself with an extremely bright head torch capable of kicking out many hundreds of lumens.

As far as I can see most models are either designed to be mounted on a bike helmet (no use for mounting on a head or climbing helmet) or have a battery pack at the back that would be fine on a head or climbing helmet but would interfere with a bike helmet.

Is there a unit available that would be suitable for both applications?
Billy the fish - on 15 May 2012
In reply to Gav M: Have a look at the Cree torches on the auction site. Even the bog standard 5 ones are very bright.
Ben Sharp - on 16 May 2012
In reply to Gav M: Hope vision 1 adventure, not sure how the battery pack removes. Very bright and can be fitted to handlebars.

Ben

P.S. "but the nights will soon be drawing in"...classic
Toerag - on 16 May 2012
In reply to Gav M: Ledlenser.
In reply to Gav M: Fenix HP11 but don't know if you will get the crossover fitting.
tipsy - on 16 May 2012
In reply to Gav M:

Can I reccomend anything by Petzl. Their aftersales support through the uk distributor is top notch service... ;)
nealh - on 16 May 2012
In reply to Ben Sharp: Yep May is here again best get ready for those dark evenings.
In reply to Gav M: New Black Diamond Icon worth a look 200 Lumens,pretty tough & weatherproof can get for 60
colina - on 17 May 2012
In reply to Gav M: yeah nights are sure drawing in ,christmas is just round the corner 8:)
a lakeland climber on 17 May 2012
In reply to Gav M:

Two contrasting (no pun intended) uses there. A light that is good enough for night biking is going to be way too bright to read a map - you'll need shades!

The Hope models (I've a Vision 2) are quite flexible: you can mount the battery on the head harness or use the extension lead to put it in a pocket or sack when the weather's cold or you are on the bike and using the helmet mount.

ALC
ChrisJD on 17 May 2012
In reply to Gav M:

I have two lights for biking, one is a very compact magicshine MJ-838 which my wife also uses for running (you can buy a seperate head torch strap) and she straps the battery pack to her arm. She says it works very well and it would also be good as a single light on the bike.

There may be upgraded versions now. And they are good value.
ChrisJD on 17 May 2012
Camm on 17 May 2012
In reply to Gav M:
fenix hp11 less than 50 277 lumens
petzl ultra has about 350 lumtens IIRC but is about 200 more

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.