UKC

Powerful head torch for night navigation and biking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gav M 15 May 2012
Strange time of year to ask I know, but the nights will soon be drawing in and I am keen to equip myself with an extremely bright head torch capable of kicking out many hundreds of lumens.

As far as I can see most models are either designed to be mounted on a bike helmet (no use for mounting on a head or climbing helmet) or have a battery pack at the back that would be fine on a head or climbing helmet but would interfere with a bike helmet.

Is there a unit available that would be suitable for both applications?
 Billy the fish 15 May 2012
In reply to Gav M: Have a look at the Cree torches on the auction site. Even the bog standard £5 ones are very bright.
 Sharp 16 May 2012
In reply to Gav M: Hope vision 1 adventure, not sure how the battery pack removes. Very bright and can be fitted to handlebars.

Ben

P.S. "but the nights will soon be drawing in"...classic
 Toerag 16 May 2012
In reply to Gav M: Ledlenser.
In reply to Gav M: Fenix HP11 but don't know if you will get the crossover fitting.
 tipsy 16 May 2012
In reply to Gav M:

Can I reccomend anything by Petzl. Their aftersales support through the uk distributor is top notch service...
 nealh 16 May 2012
In reply to Sharp: Yep May is here again best get ready for those dark evenings.
In reply to Gav M: New Black Diamond Icon worth a look 200 Lumens,pretty tough & weatherproof can get for £60
 colina 17 May 2012
In reply to Gav M: yeah nights are sure drawing in ,christmas is just round the corner 8
In reply to Gav M:

Two contrasting (no pun intended) uses there. A light that is good enough for night biking is going to be way too bright to read a map - you'll need shades!

The Hope models (I've a Vision 2) are quite flexible: you can mount the battery on the head harness or use the extension lead to put it in a pocket or sack when the weather's cold or you are on the bike and using the helmet mount.

ALC
 ChrisJD 17 May 2012
In reply to Gav M:

I have two lights for biking, one is a very compact magicshine MJ-838 which my wife also uses for running (you can buy a seperate head torch strap) and she straps the battery pack to her arm. She says it works very well and it would also be good as a single light on the bike.

There may be upgraded versions now. And they are good value.
 Camm 17 May 2012
In reply to Gav M:
fenix hp11 less than £50 277 lumens
petzl ultra has about 350 lumtens IIRC but is about £200 more

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...