UKC

Sir Ranulph Fiennes & Ian Parnell Talks June/July

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Speakers from the Edge 16 May 2012

When world-renowned polar explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes turned his attentions from the great frozen wilderness of the Poles to two of the world’s highest and most testing mountains he faced several challenges. In his early sixties and recovering from a very severe heart attack, he had no climbing experience and, not least, suffered from vertigo!

This summer, Sir Ranulph will be be appearing at 13 venues around the UK talking about how he overcame these challenges to summit both the North Face of the Eiger and Mount Everest. He will be interviewed live on stage by acclaimed high altitude mountaineer, photographer and Associate Editor of Climb magazine Ian Parnell. Ian filmed Ranulph on both mountains as they climbed and the talks will include Ian's brilliant footage and images from both expeditions.

Dates & Venues

June
Thu 7th SALFORD QUAYS THE LOWRY 0843 208 6010
Fri 8th BARNSTAPLE QUEENS THEATRE 01271 32 42 42
Mon 18th ST ALBANS THE ALBAN ARENA 01727 844488
wed 20th INVERNESS EDEN COURT 01463 234234
Mon 25th CAMBRIDGE CORN EXCHANGE 01223 357851

July
Mon 2nd BIRMINGHAM TOWN HALL 0121 780 333
Wed 4th HARROGATE THE ROYAL HALL 01423 502 116
Thu 5th DERBY ASSEMBLY ROOMS 01332 255800
Mon 9th SHREWSBURY SEVERN THEATRE 01743 281 281
Wed 11th CARDIFF ST DAVIDS HALL 029 2087 8444
Fri 13th LLANDUDNO VENUE CYMRU 01492 872000
Wed 18th MALVERN MALVERN THEATRES 01684 892277
Thurs 19th GUILDFORD GLive 0844 7701 797

To BOOK TICKETS ONLINE please visit http://www.speakersfromtheedge.com/theatre-tours/sir-ranulph-fiennes-everes...

This tour is kindly sponsored by Rohan has been planned in association with Heason Events.

gethin_allen 18 May 2012
In reply to Speakers from the Edge:
Both top blokes imo but £19.50 a ticket! I don't think i'll bother.
 buzby 19 May 2012
In reply to gethin_allen: id really like to see this even at that price but dont fancy a 4 hr drive from the south west of scotland, ive noticed that a lot of speakers tours if they even come to scotland seem to miss the central belt area, i find it hard to believe that the most populated area of scotland dosent have the demand for there type of shows.
 Co1in H 20 May 2012
In reply to gethin_allen: And the price of drinks at the bar. I live not too far away but it will still cost £10 in diesel plus the ticket and a drink, probably comes to near enough £35, which is a bit on the heavy side for a local lecture. OK there are 2 people to pay, but surely there is a cheaper and more accesible venue that holds the same amount of people. The theatre they use at the Lowry is not that big.
 Ian Parnell 20 May 2012
In reply to Co1in H: 1000 seater or there abouts - looking like it will sell out soon so hurry for tickets
 gethin_allen 20 May 2012
In reply to Ian Parnell:
I was looking at he cardiff gig, ~2000 seats. And as co1in H said, It's ticket price + booking charge (per ticket, as if it's any more effort to put through and post out multiple tickets) + fuel + parking + expensive drinks = I pass on this one.
 Co1in H 21 May 2012
In reply to Ian Parnell: But, I will probably be there, because I don't like missing a lecture. Oh yes, and I have four boks for you to sign please.
 Ian Parnell 23 May 2012
In reply to Co1in H: Great, be good to see you Colin.
 Nick_Scots 27 May 2012
Shame as would go but can't drive from the central belt to Inverness after work on a wednesday night !
 ceri's 29 May 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr: Ditto, I've allocated all my annual leave days for going up mountains, so I've none left to allow a midweek drive from the Central Belt to Inverness for an evening!
Flat4matt 01 Jun 2012
Will be there for this one! Looking forward to it!
 Arbu 02 Jun 2012
How can you know if what he tells you is fact or fiction though? http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/01/ranulph-fiennes-faked-accidents-tv
Flat4matt 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Arbu:

who cares, itll be entertaining anyway :-D
 Trangia 04 Jun 2012

Pity that there is no South East Venue
 ffdalton 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Speakers from the Edge: What about Buxton opera house, heart of the Peak, come on guys.
Speakers from the Edge 06 Jun 2012
In reply to ffdalton: he did this talk at Buxton last year - sorry you missed it! Salford is not that far away though!
Speakers from the Edge 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Trangia: St Albans and Guildford are our South East dates this time around.
 The Mole 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Speakers from the Edge: Newcastle?

Harrogate to Inverness is a mighty big gap!
Speakers from the Edge 12 Jun 2012
In reply to The Mole: It is I know - tried to get Edinburgh/Newcastle theatres to book - will try again next time, if we do it again.
 Mark Collins 13 Jun 2012
In reply to buzby: Yes, I feel the same way although I haven't got as far to go as yourself and don't live in Scotland. However, similarly these types of event are seldom held in Lancashire.
 Bruce Hooker 14 Jun 2012

Why are they called "Speakers from the Edge"? I don't know who Ian Parnel is but for Fiennes I suppose it means "the Edge of Credibility"
 Ian Parnell 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker: Hi Bruce I don't know who this Parnel is either, but I would recommend coming along to one of the shows, You'll find Ran open, honest, humble and very credible. Hopefully see you soon.
 Bruce Hooker 15 Jun 2012
In reply to Ian Parnell:

I'm afraid it's too late to convince me of that.... perhaps you should check out his past?
 Ian Parnell 15 Jun 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker: Bruce I've always found it best to judge the person you meet, rather than believe all you read or hear. It sounds to me you've already pre-judged - however I'd still recommend judging the man face to face.
 Trangia 17 Jun 2012

Not a lot of good to those of us who live in the true south east. Both venues are a good 2 hour drive, and that's assuming the M25 isn't congested! It is a lot easier to get to London and more eco friendly by train.
Speakers from the Edge 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Trangia: Sir Ranulph talks regularly at the RGS in Kensington, often not just to members, which is why we are not doing a central London. It may be worth you checking out their website for future events if you are keen to catch him. (P.S. St Albans is only a 20 min train ride from St Pancras, which would have been fairly environmentally friendly, but I can appreciate people would rather not have to travel.) http://www.rgs.org/WhatsOn/Whats+on.htm
 Trangia 26 Jun 2012

Thanks

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...