UKC

A Good Day on the Carneddau

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 26 May 2012
On Thursday I parked my car near Glan Dinas and, leaving at 9:20, took the east ridge up Pen yr Ole Wen. Within half an hour of starting it was turning into a scorcher of a day with blue skies and very little cooling breeze. At the summit of Pen yr Ole Wen I caught up with four chaps who had passed me shortly after I set out. Had a nice chat with them and then plodded on to Carnedd Dafydd(where I caught them up again)

Sitting there admiring the views and I was suddenly confronted by about a dozen Royal Marine Commandoes sweating like pigs, carrying full packs weighing God knows how much. Had a chat with them and then set off for Carnedd Llewellyn where I again met the four other chaps. They were heading for Pen Yr Helgi Ddu so we finally said goodbye as I set course for Foel Grach where I arrived at about 4:00.

After tightening my boots I set off in the general direction of Garnedd Uchaf near where I veered slightly westwards to contour below the rocky battlements of Yr Aryg and Bera Bach.

Southwest of Bera Bach I started a steep downward traverse into the Afon Caseg valley to pick up the ancient track skirting the base of Gyrn Wigau and eventually into Bethesda at 18:30.

A good, if long, day out during which(discounting the Commando chaps)I saw only four other people.

I felt knackered but it was a "good" knackered feeling if you know what I mean. 80)
 andyd1970 26 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: I was out last week and saw all the Commandos. Their packes where bigger than them!
OP mypyrex 26 May 2012
In reply to andyd1970: Where did you see them?
scrufff 26 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Hardly hidden, but I rarely see anyone during the week around there. Never seen any booties however!
 AlisonSmiles 26 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Commandos, eh? Note to self to make plans for walking in the Carneddau.
 andyd1970 26 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: On the Carnedds. Nice guys, bit gutted though as I was gonna join the Marines when I left School but got an Apprenticeship and got talked out of it by my parents lol.

andyd1970 26 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: funny really as I took some lads from work who only ever do snowdon. I told em it is a really quiet area! Then all of a sudden there was about 30/40 people including the Marines and it was midweek too.
OP mypyrex 26 May 2012
In reply to andyd1970:
> (In reply to mypyrex) and it was midweek too.

What day, whereabouts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...