UKC

Book recommendations please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlisonSmiles 29 May 2012
OK, so I'm trying to get myself a lead climb mojo. Mainly upping my seconding and paying attention to gear placement. Done a course on lead climbing, have a friend's rack on semi retired loan, doing a little easy peasy leading with more experienced friends who can tut at my placements, and basically putting in the miles on low grade stuff.

But I know my learning style by now (am well old), and I know what I work well from is written stuff, books with diagrams a 5 year old could understand. Any recommendations on such a book. In particular I'd like to see something that covers setting up a belay at the top. I have been deluged with techniques, have a couple of favorites but want to get it all straight in my head. Only a book will do ... any thoughts?
 NorthernGrit 29 May 2012
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Rock climbing: Essential skills and techniques by Libby Peter is an excellent resource for all of the basics and beyond. It has very good descriptions and diagrams of most situations you will encounter with anchors in and out of reach etc

Climbing Anchors by John Long is good if you like full on nut on rock action (with graphic pictures to boot) and descriptions of virtually every variety of anchor you will ever and never be likely to need.

For what you've specifically asked for, I'd go for the Libby Peter book.
 Mooncat 29 May 2012

If you're interested I've got an as new copy of The Handbook of Climbing by Alan Fyffe and Ian Peter, it seems to be what you need.
 EZ 29 May 2012
In reply to NorthernGrit:

Another vote for the Libby Peter book. The best book I've come across for things a climber really needs to know without any ambiguity. Brilliant.
 Cameron94 29 May 2012
"How to climb harder" is an excellent book for useful tips to up your climbings levels from very simple diagrams about gear placements to extensive training programs!
I use mine more than my Libby Petter book but it's handy as well.
 Mark Eddy 29 May 2012
In reply to AlisonSmiles: I have found 'The Mountain Skills Training Handbook' by Pete Hill & Stuart Johnston to be invaluable for so many aspects of climbing. Possibly the best few pounds i've ever spent. It's endorsed by AMI and written by two highly experienced practitioners.
Mark
OP AlisonSmiles 30 May 2012
In reply to All:

Many thanks, I will go check Amazon out on all recommendations and ... make a decision!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...