UKC

Books to read on Big Wall Soloing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
zakmacro 07 Jun 2012
So I have decided that I would like to do some big wall soloing, in Europe and if the novelty hasn’t worn off/i haven’t died, america.

Can anyone recommend me some reading material based around big wall soloing techniques or "storys"
Thanks
 jimtitt 07 Jun 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

Presuming you mean aid, since if you think you can solo free-climb a big wall you don´t need to ask us anything.

Start with reading the links from this page:-http://www.supertopo.com/a/How-To-Big-Wall-Climb-Table-of-Contents/a139n.ht...
And then the trip reports from guys like Mark Hudon.

Then consider where you are going to put up this aid big-wall in Europe!
 The Ivanator 07 Jun 2012
In reply to zakmacro: If you've not read it already then Psychovertical by Andy Kirkpatrick would be a pretty good place to start.
 Dave 88 07 Jun 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

Andy K's website in general for big wall and soloing stuff. Plenty of good articles to trawl through. He's also running big wall courses in London at the moment.

As for European big walling, unless I'm mistaken, you choice is either Troll Wall (has repelled/killed/paralysed an army of climbers over the years, including Andy K) or a handful of properly nails routes in the alps.
 Dave 88 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

A nice motivational European big walling vid for you mate!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=797

Love that song.
In reply to zakmacro: Looking at your profile I trust that you do not plan to embark on this (the big wall soloing that is not the reading)in the immediate future?

Al
 EZ 07 Jun 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

From the thread subject:
> Books to read on Big Wall Soloing
I instantly thought the Encyclopedia Britannica would be a good choice. No shortage of interesting subjects, it should fit into a reasonable size haul bag and weight training to boot. It might even have a section on big wall soloing to help you get psyched on the way to your wall.
zakmacro 07 Jun 2012
In reply to zakmacro:
Thanks guys, it's not an immediate goal, but something to aim for! I have only been climbing for a year.

Whilst I have your attentions; what's the longest multie pitch rout in the uk???
 EZ 07 Jun 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

What grade you are planning to climb will affect the answers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...