UKC

child friendly grit crags, peak district

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 manwithacam 02 Jul 2012
Does anyone have an idea for good spots to take children climbing, specifically my 2 4yr nieces and 7yr nephew? I live in Stockport, they in Sheffield. They have never climbed before.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

D
 Andy Hudson 02 Jul 2012
In reply
Windgather would be good unless you have to first drive to Sheffield to pick them up in which case there would be a lot of driving
 Darron 03 Jul 2012
In reply to middlemarker:
Nearer Seffield some parts of Wharncliffe should fit the bill.
 Neil Henson 03 Jul 2012
In reply to middlemarker: I think Birchen would fit the bill.
 DerwentDiluted 03 Jul 2012

I'd consider going somewhere like Higgar tor and just doing some weasling and clambering, I managed to totally put my stepson off climbing by getting the ropes out too early.
 Ava Adore 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Neil Henson:

Disagree re. Birchen. It can be quite an unpleasantly boggy walk up.

Suggest Burbage North - there are lots of friendly boulders near the path if they just want to clamber over them.

Or agree with suggestion of Windgather.

GrahamD 03 Jul 2012

I wouldn't worry about looking for actual routes at that age - 2 - 3m high boulders are better as you can sit on top of the higher boulders with a rope and really give them encouragement. Its not too high that they will get scared.

Anywhere on the eastern edges is fine - Burbage is not too much of a walk, or Baslow
 Neil Henson 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Ava Adore: I did consider the boggy walk up but don't think it is beyond the capabilities of an active child in the right weather conditions (unsurprisingly it was very boggy last week though). You can also access the crag from the pub end, which I don't believe is that boggy.
 Ava Adore 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Neil Henson:

And it does of course have the added merit of a pub next door
 Offwidth 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:

Birchen bogs are easily avoided by following the side path to Kismet Buttress or an earlier path straight up a shallow gully to a crag-top path. It's not the best place for kids as most routes have hard starts and can be reachy.

Burbage North start boulders are good and some not in the guide are detailed on Offwidth:

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/burbage_north.html

Windgather is really good but Wharncliffe has good bits (esp black slab area) and sounds maybe more convenient.

Neil Henson 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Offwidth: Yes there are a lot of reachy routes with hard starts at Birchen. But I think routes like the Gangplank and some of the easier ones in the Stoker's wall area would be quite child friendly with a relatively easy walk in from the Kismet Buttress end.
 Neil Henson 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Ava Adore: Always a bonus!!
OP manwithacam 03 Jul 2012
Thanks very much to all for the advice and suggestions. Very helpful, I now have a few options to go at.

Cheers, Dan
 GrahamD 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Neil Henson:

I still think that thinking in terms of 'routes' is too big for a 4 year old who hasn't climbed before unless you want to risk terrifying them when they freeze halfway up and are too scared to lower down.
 Howardw1968 03 Jul 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
I kind of agree and kind of dont cause if they were indoor they would be rainbowing the routes and here it's just a case of finding somewhere where they wont be out of their depth. If they are going to freeze then they will do it anyway.
 Offwidth 04 Jul 2012
In reply to Neil Henson:

Thats true the unlisted slabs next to Gangplank and the variants on the main line are great for kids as well.
 Neil Henson 04 Jul 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Neil Henson)
>
> I still think that thinking in terms of 'routes' is too big for a 4 year old who hasn't climbed before unless you want to risk terrifying them when they freeze halfway up and are too scared to lower down.

Yeah I guess the requirements for the 4 year old and the 7 year old will differ a bit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...