UKC

Saas Grund

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 libation 12 Jul 2012
hi we're off to saas grund soon anyone know which is the best camp site which translates to cheapest probably as will be staying in huts a lot.

also any ideas for hut to hut routes taking in a summit along the way in the saastal valley.

any other info which might be of use would be greatly appreciated.

cheers - john
 Jerry67 12 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation: I'm pretty sure you can traverse the Weissmies from the Hohsaashaus to the Almageller hut. Then you could do something else from there and work your way back. Not too difficult, and a 4000er ticked.
J
 The Ivanator 12 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation: Camping Mischabel is probably the best camping option (between Saas Grund and Saas Almagell)http://www.campingmischabel.com/frameset.php?taal=en
A good hut to hut with summit is walk up to the Almageller hut from Saas Almagell then traverse the Weissmies 4023m (excellent PD) descending to the Weissmies hut. You can stay extra nights at the Almageller and take in some excellent bolted climbing on the Dri Hornli ridge or do the Traverse of that Ridge at AD (an excellent short day). At the other end you can extend by doing the Lagginhorn 4010m (PD by normal route)or Fletchshorn 3993m, or more bolted routes including the excellent 14 pitch 4+ Alpendurst on the Jegihorn (also home to a wild Via Ferrata.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3077 (Dri Hornli)
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=4023 (Jegihorn)
 alisonk 12 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation: When we last stayed at Mischabel a couple of years ago they had a reduced rate if you were going to a hut, as we had a campervan we could leave it there for a couple of nights on the pitch for not much cash.
 The Ivanator 12 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation: There is also a small campsite behind the Bergheimat Hotel in Saas Grund, the bonus of this one is use of the Hotel's indoor pool (well appreciated after a couple of hill days). It is very close to the Saas Grund lift too, but rather boxed in by chalet hotels.
I've heard that uplift in the valley is free this summer in an attempt to boost visitor numbers, if true that could save you a packet.
Helps to have some German or a phrasebook for the Hohsaas and Weissmies huts as the Guardians do not speak English (although other staff at these huts do), the Almageller hut Guardian has good English.
If you fancy the bolted climbing on the Dri Hornli you should be able to pick up a colour topo leaflet in the Almageller Hut (was 3Chf in 2010), the multi pitch lines we did there were brilliant.
OP libation 12 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation: thanks all for the good advice and recommendations. we'll certainly be taking up some of your suggestions.

cheers everyone - john
Gone for good 12 Jul 2012
In reply to The Ivanator:
>
> I've heard that uplift in the valley is free this summer in an attempt to boost visitor numbers, if true that could save you a packet.

> Thats correct, there is a citizen passport scheme that allows you to use all the lifts in the Saas valley for free. I was there last week and benefitted from free lifts up the Felskinn, the Metro Allain and the Heidebom in Saas Almagell which would have cost at least 100 CHF. All you have to do is show your passport to the proprietor of wherever you're staying and they will produce the pass.
 caradoc 16 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation: I have just got back from Saas, conditions were good but the weather was a bit mixed. I was amazed to find the rumours that the lifts were free was true! Once you have your 'citizens card', 3.50 Swiss Franks you can go up and down all day long. It made the Allalinhorn which would have been 69CHF per person a very cheery nothing.
OP libation 16 Jul 2012
In reply to caradoc:
> (In reply to liberation) I have just got back from Saas, conditions were good but the weather was a bit mixed. I was amazed to find the rumours that the lifts were free was true! Once you have your 'citizens card', 3.50 Swiss Franks you can go up and down all day long. It made the Allalinhorn which would have been 69CHF per person a very cheery nothing.

that free lift pass would be a bonus! cheers mate - john
 Kid Spatula 16 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation:

Is there any low level cragging around Saas Grund?
 alastairbegley 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Kid Spatula:
yes i believe there is some near the kapellenweg campsite, though when I was there I struggled to find anywhere that sold the guide as the old one for not too much money was out of stock everywhere and the new one which was 50chf was not in stock anywhere yet
 Kid Spatula 16 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation:

You just rock up to the campsite and demand* your citizens passport then? And they add 3.50 per day to your camping cost?

*Politely ask for
 Blinder 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Foxy: The new guide is avaible in the shops, got my copy in Basel, but I am sure you can get one in Fee however it is about 50 CHF.
 mattrm 16 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation:

Going out there next week. Planning on doing the Jegihorn (maybe the VF) for acclimatisation. Does anyone know where you can hire the VF kit from in Saas Grund? Or do they have kits at the Weissmeis hut? We're staying at Weissmeis for a few days, doing the Jegi, then Lagginhorn and Weissmeis (assuming weather is ok).

If not does anyone have any topos for the fr4/5 routes up the Jegihorn?
 Mr Fuller 16 Jul 2012
In reply to caradoc: How did you find day-to-day living costs? Was basic food and drink like pasta, bread, beer really pricy in the supermarkets (if that's what you can call that shop in Saas Grund centre)? I went three years ago and didn't find it too bad but I've heard horror stories since. Cheers.
 Mike-W-99 16 Jul 2012
In reply to mattrm:
VF kit can be hired from the shop next to the gondola station.

Only did one of the sport routes but Alpendurst is painted at the bottom of the route and its easy enough to follow.
 Blinder 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: The price of food has not really changed but the exchange rate is not in favour of the GBP. Expect expensive then double it! The Denier in Saas Grund is the cheapest but you might not find everything there, so you end up going to the Coop for certain bits. If you have a car there is an Idle (or Aludi I forget which) in Visp. Head through the town direction Brig for about 3 km and it is on your right. There is also a big co-op oppersite.
 Mr Fuller 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Blinder: Okay, thanks. I'm trying to work out whether the money saved on uplift will justify the food costs. Hopefully...
 Blinder 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: you driving? If so stop at a french suppermarket before you hit Switzerland. However watch out the border police do not get you.
 Mr Fuller 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Blinder: No, we'd be flying. Could be worth getting excess baggage and filling it full of essentials!
 Blinder 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: Maybe I have exaggerated at bit and have lost touch of what things cost in the UK. When are you out there?
 Mr Fuller 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Blinder: Not sure yet but probably end of August- start of July sort of time. If pasta is £3 per kilo I could live with that but if it was, say £5 per kilo it starts getting a bit silly.
 Blinder 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: Try http://www.coopathome.ch/ for some prices. I will be around from the 28th until 5th Aug. Let me know if you fanncy a beer.
 Mr Fuller 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Blinder: Thanks for the link - really helpful. I got my dates wrong, though - I meant end of August to start of September - so cheers for the beer offer but I won't be around! Cheers
 Blinder 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: Also there first two weeks of September.
 verygneiss 17 Jul 2012
In reply to liberation:

A search for 'Campingplätze Saas Grund' on Google.de brought up http://www.kapellenweg.ch/. Click on 'Preise' for a price list. The homepage also has details of the free lift pass/Gästekarte scheme:
-Free uplift and use of the postbuses in the Saastal, excluding the summer ski area.
-You can take part in an activity programme for visitors (hi dee hi campers!).
-10% off summer skiing and other stuff advertised online.

Seems pretty decent.
 mattrm 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Alpendurst was the one I was thinking of. Looks like we'll just have to follow all the others on the route if it's a nice day.
 The Ivanator 17 Jul 2012
In reply to mattrm: For Alpendurst either catch the first lift to the mid station Kreuzboden and hot foot it to get to the head of the queue or stay at the Weissmies hut and nip across the moraine before the first lift starts delivering climbers. So much more enjoyable if you are not being held up at every belay.
The moraine path is marked by paint flashes and the base of the route is easily identified.
 mattrm 18 Jul 2012
In reply to The Ivanator:

Ace. Ta. We're staying in the Weissmies and planning on doing either it or the VF as a acclimatisation route for the first day, before getting on the Lagginhorn and Weissmeis.
 AndyG71 19 Jul 2012
In reply to mattrm: Anybody know the answer to mattrm's question about whether it's possible to hire Via Ferrata Kit at the Weissmies Hut ? We have similar plans and don't fancy hiring kit for 3 or 4 days from valley when we are only going to use it once. Yes, I now I should buy my own but fairly pricey to use once every blue moon ...
 The Ivanator 19 Jul 2012
In reply to AndyG71: As far as I know the Weissmies hut doesn't hire Via Ferrata gear, with free uplift you could nip down and return the gear (the hire place is 50m from the lift station) and hop on the lift back up again to stay at the hut easily enough. Just make sure you start early enough to make sure the lifts are still running when you get down.
 AndyG71 20 Jul 2012
In reply to The Ivanator: There's a thought. Free uplift does open up some options. I've mailed the hut too on the off chance ...
 AndyG71 13 Aug 2012
In reply to AndyG71:
Just an update on the 'free uplift' based on our experience last week. Not sure how the citizen card mentioned above fits in but some of the hotels/pensions seem to be registered in the scheme and some not. You get a pass that covers the day either side of the night you spend in the accomodation. This is obviously dead handy for day trips but if you are going up to a hut for a few days you are ok on the way up but not back down again, unless of course you are returning to same accomodation in which case they will give you pass for that day as well, in advance. A condition of using pass is that you provide id e.g. passport. We managed to talk our way round this but not sure whether that would always work. Pass can also be used on Post Buses. We actually managed to get a free ride from Visp to Saas Grund as driver seemed to assume everyone had passes. Totally opposite experience on the way back, drivers didn't seem to want us on buses whether we had passes, paid extortionate fare or whatever. Sure we didn't smell that bad ...
 AndyG71 13 Aug 2012
In reply to AndyG71:
Can confirm Weissmiss Hut definitely doesn't hire Via Ferrata kit. Really great hut though with very friendly, helpful staff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...