UKC

First Time at Pembroke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stupot1988 13 Jul 2012
Hello all,
Looking into going to Pembroke to do some DWS and sea cliff trad. Never climbed sea cliffs before plus ive only really just started multipitching..... Anybody have any wise words of advise would be very much appreciated!! Thanks
 SCC 13 Jul 2012
In reply to stupot1988:

Make sure you know the tide times and understand what impact they will have on the routes you plan to do.

Many Pembroe routes are single pitch, but as long as you know how to construct a sound belay then multipitch isn't really any big deal. Oh, as long as you don't drop all your gear in the sea when swapping it with your second....

Enjoy, Pembroke is a wonderful place to go climbing.

Si
 SCC 13 Jul 2012
PS Worth checing for bird bans too.
 Jamie B 13 Jul 2012
In reply to stupot1988:

1. Get hold of a separate abseil rope. 50m of static gives you spare length for equalising stakes.
2. When abseiling in, make sure you have the climbing ropes with you!
3. Know how to prussik, in case you end up in the wrong area or unable to climb out.
4. Start the grades low and get a feel for it. Pembroke can be quite intimidating and pumpy.
Rigid Raider 13 Jul 2012
Take water and sun cream and a sun hat, it can get hot on the cliffs.
 The Pylon King 13 Jul 2012
In reply to stupot1988:

Buy the new Climbers' Club Stackpole and Lydstep book.
 The Ivanator 13 Jul 2012
In reply to stupot1988: What sort of grades are you looking for? I'm sure you'll get some good route suggestions if you specify. For easier stuff the hard sandstone around St. Davids or the limestone further south at Saddle Head are probably the best bets for a first visit.
 stvredmond 13 Jul 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King: finally its arrived. think ive been waiting for a year for this. already ordered and dusting off my trad gear to scare myself those exposure ridden climbs
 Howard J 13 Jul 2012
In reply to stupot1988: Make sure you know exactly where you are before abseiling into the void.

And carry prusiks!
 The Pylon King 13 Jul 2012
In reply to stvredmond:

lots of nice slabs!
 afshapes 13 Jul 2012
In reply to stupot1988: remember to take your ropes, twice I've forgotten them when abbing in ..doh !
 Simon Rackley 13 Jul 2012
In reply to stupot1988: St Davids is a really good introduction to sea cliffs, there not to high and scary for your first sea cliff adventure and the grades are ok.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...