UKC

Tips required for the Carneddau this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
roypartington 16 Jul 2012
We were hoping to do the Welsh3000 this Saturday 21st. But my running partner has had his shift pattern changed again so cant do it now until Aug 8. Not having much luck what with the weather and shift patterns. So Iam still going up this friday on my own and will kip in the van and set off across the Carnedds approx 5am. I will set off from Glan Dena and do the same route we will do for the 3000 but due to the van been left at Ogwen area will have to retrace my steps back obviously.

As Ive never been any further across than Pen Yr Ole Wen does any one have any little tips for going over to Foel fras and back what to look out for etc, Im aware from Ianruk that Llewellyn is where I need to pay particular attention to the Nav but apart from that any other tips.
Also wasnt sure about wearing trail running shoes or boots as Im not sure if there are boggy sections up there due to this weather as its forecast to be half decent for saturday and I dont really want to be doing that distance with soaking wet feet most of the way if it can be helped of course.

Just any general tips really,

Thanks.
 Paul Robertson 16 Jul 2012
In reply to roypartington:
I did several of the 3000s yesterday as a reccie. You will have seen my post asking about the best way to do them as a loop.

The ground is very very wet. My feet got soaked early on and never dried out.

The only dry bits I found were:
Snowdon from the Clogwyn Station to the summit and back down via Crib Goch
The section from the top of Glyder Fawr via Tryfan most of the way down to Ogwen
The ridge from the summit of Pen Yr Ole Wen to Carnedd Dafydd.

I wore Guide Tennies and would wear them again. They're light enough to run in and excellent on scrambling section like Crib Goch and they have good protection for the toes.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes on the day.
 Paul Robertson 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Paul Robertson:
> (In reply to roypartington)
> I did several of the 3000s yesterday as a reccie. You will have seen my post asking about the best way to do them as a loop.
>
Actually, my post is in the Running forum on UKC.
 Mike Peacock 16 Jul 2012
In reply to roypartington: I'll second the warning about Carnedd Llewelyn. It's surprisingly easy to let concentration slip and take the ridge to Pen yr Helgi Du by mistake. As long as you get the correct ridge to Foel Grach you should be ok - it can be confusing in mist but the key is to stick to the broad ridge line. Once you hit Foel Fras the wall appears to guide you.
In reply to Paul Robertson: Thanks for that Paul.
I will take both my salomons and my Inovs but will probably bottle it and go with the scarpa boots as soon as I see the state of the ground as Im expecting it to be pretty boggy. I guess I will just have to suck and see. I can run in the boots as they are light and ultra dry, but really wanted to see what its like in the trail shoes, but its no fun as most people know doing that kind of distance with drenched feet from the word go.
In reply to Mike Peacock: Thanks Mike,
I usually read through the incidents on both the Llanberis and Ogwen MRT sites to see where the problematic areas seem to be ie where most people seem to go wrong with their nav if they are going to go wrong. Quite often get a couple of good pointers on there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...