/ Active outdoor pursuits instructor course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Judyw22 - on 30 Jul 2012
Hello,

I'm thinking of applying for the Active Outdoor Pursuits Instructors Course in Newtonmore and I was wondering if anyone has done it or knows anything about it? I would love some feed back before committing myself or some advice from people who know the area and centre. Thanks, Judy.
saintlade - on 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Judyw22: I have no experience of instructor courses, or fast track style courses though know a few friends who've done similar. From what I understand if you want to become an instructor you'd do a lot better to take on a trainee position at a centre somewhere that is proactive enough to put you through a few quals whilst giving you some actual experience of working with groups. Plus you don't have to pay for this! And might receive some (albeit small) renumeration. I would think most centres would see someone with experience and quals more useful than just quals. The exception perhaps being getting a D1 which I think is definitely worth investing in if you want to try and get work in centres.
jfmchivall - on 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Judyw22:

Are you doing the course in order to get a career in outdoor activities instruction? You'd be better off getting a trainee position at an outdoor centre as mentioned by the other poster.

Newtonmore's pretty much the perfect place to live* if you like mountains though. Halfway between Lochaber and the Cairngorms, right on the A9 - within an hour's drive you've got some of the best climbing, paddling and biking in the country, without the summer hordes that plague the Lakes or Snowdonia.

* in the UK at least.
Judyw22 - on 30 Jul 2012
In reply to jfmchivall:
Thanks for the advice. I'd like to find a trainee position but I'd presumed it would be hard to get without the qualifications first. I'll definitely look further into that.
jfmchivall - on 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Judyw22:

Lack of qualifications isn't necessarily a barrier as the whole point of trainee jobs is to get qualified while on the job. It is very useful to have experience of working with groups though - volunteer with a local scout or DofE group, join a climbing or canoe club, or help out at a local school. Learning how to set up a top rope for a group is easy - what is harder to learn is how to reassure nervous participants and help them to feel positive about their experience, or how to adapt your coaching of a technique to an individual's needs.
ads.ukclimbing.com
JHayes - on 04 Aug 2012
In reply to Judyw22:
Sent you a message but I'm a trainee and loving it best thing I've ever done my advice is just get out and do stuff I volunteered at a centre before going for a trainee position to Mae sure it's what I wanted to do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.