UKC

Bolted routes in Northern England for begginer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
paulkirk 02 Aug 2012
Hi guys and gals.
I'm just starting out with getting to grips on the real stuff, do lots of indoor climbing and bouldering, but really want to get out now and experience the freedom of real rock. Does anyone know of any bolted routes in the north or north east of England, that would be suitable for an outdoor virgin? I desperately want to get out and climb but am at a loss on where to start. Any help gratefully received!
Oh and if there's anyone out there who fancies taking a novice out for a day and imparting their wisdom, I'd be really up for that.
 Kid Spatula 02 Aug 2012
In reply to paulkirk:

Giggleswick? Have to be careful with the rock on some routes but I like it quite a lot.
 gonggashan 02 Aug 2012
Robin Proctor's scar has some nice F5 ish sport climbs
 Davvers 02 Aug 2012
In reply to paulkirk:

Make sure you know how to do the changeover (and understand it) BEFORE you go up. Get someone who knows how, to show you and practice it before you go up.

... and then have a great time !...
 Ramblin dave 02 Aug 2012
In reply to paulkirk:
> I desperately want to get out and climb but am at a loss on where to start. Any help gratefully received!

Join a local club, learn to climb trad, have a massive range of quality routes on your doorstep.
 Ed Navigante 02 Aug 2012
In reply to paulkirk:

Castleburg has a couple of good easy climbs. got a topo at the bottom of the crag too! I wouldn't recommend Giggleswick unless you want to be put off lime sport (well I was!)

but best of the best would be to get to almscliff with someone with trad gear, and learn the real magic.

whereabouts are you?
paulkirk 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Ed Navigante:
> (In reply to paulkirk)
>
> Castleburg has a couple of good easy climbs. got a topo at the bottom of the crag too! I wouldn't recommend Giggleswick unless you want to be put off lime sport (well I was!)
>
> but best of the best would be to get to almscliff with someone with trad gear, and learn the real magic.
>
> whereabouts are you?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm in East Yorkshire but I'm able and willing to travel a couple of hours for a good days climbing.
 mikekeswick 03 Aug 2012
In reply to paulkirk: We aren't exactly endowed with easy sport routes around here. I 2nd going to somewhere glorious like almscliff and learn to climb on gear first. I'll show you 'the ropes' if you want.
 jcharles 05 Aug 2012
In reply to paulkirk

Keep an eye on the 'EYMC' website, 'Hull climbers' and 'York climbers' often post offering days out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...