UKC

Hi and DWS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Patrik333 10 Aug 2012
Hi,

I'm new here, although I have been climbing before. I was a member of a Uni club for the best part of a year before I dropped out - thinking of retrying my course next year though so I'll be re joining them.

I used to be able to do roughly grades 4-6b in indoor, but only 2-5, or up to "very hard" outdoor. Also since then, I've put on considerable weight and gotten out of shape, though recently I've joined a gym.

Therefore, I enjoy easy, laid back climbs, especially with lots of 'jugs'.

Anyway, I was looking at deep water soloing today and the prospect really excited me, both of soloing and the (safe) "tombstoning" that follows. I have a few queries on it though.

- I read the DWS article, and it mentioned recommended 6b climbs. I'd have no chance at the moment. Are there any very easy sea climbs? I live in Berkshire, but I can get access to some of the south coast incl. possibly Swanage and nearby.

- I have some rock climbing shoes. Am I correct in saying that if I rinse them shortly after finishing, they won't me eaten by salt? Do they provide good traction even when wet?

- I'm guessing bringing chalk would be useless, as it would just get wet when I hit the water... any tips on maintaining hand grip?

- I can climb overhangs if there are enough jugs, but about climbing a non vertical cliff: obviously if it's shallow enough it can't really be jumped off, but if it is near vertical, is it still safe or is there a danger of slipping, cartoon-style, down it and scraping your belly off?

- Any advice on navigating sea currents at the base of the cliff? I can float, I can swim a bit, but I'm not fast enough to overcome a strong current.

-If I found a cliff that looked good, and make a reasoned judgement about it, should I attempt it without a guide?

Also, I'm going on holiday to Guernsey soon. They have a climbing club over there, but they do moderately hard routes, so I'm not planning to climb with them, but does anyone know a good safe spot do do a bit of soloing/bouldering/DWS?

Cheers!
 Jonny2vests 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Patrik333:

Wow, that's a lot of questions, unfortunately I'm short of time. A nice way of getting into DWS is a sea level traverse. Check out the Magical Mystery Tour at Berry Head. If you get to a hard bit you cant do, you fall in, that's half the fun.

Apart from that, there are easy DWS routes at Swanage and Portland, you need the Deep Water guide book and perhaps some knowledge so you don't drown - rejoining the club would be a good idea (you don't need to actually be a student to join an SU club by the way).

J2V
 alooker 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Patrik333: I've never been deep water soloing but have heard of people using a few of those ziplock bags or similar and loose chalk, just use a fresh bag and leave the others to dry out each time i guess!
 alooker 10 Aug 2012
In reply to alooker: i.e. put a small freezer bag in your existing chalk bag!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...