UKC

insulated jacket advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Atlas 09 Sep 2012
I'm looking for a hooded insulated ladies jacket that I can wear as a midlayer under a waterproof jacket. I'm going hiking in the Atlas mountains and I want something to keep me warm in the evening when I won't be moving about much. I will probably use it a lot for hill walking in the UK and for going around town on chilly days. I'm struggling to decide between a few synthetic jackets and I wonder if anyone has any views or other recommendations? I've been looking at Patagonia's Ws micro puff hoody; W's nano puff jacket; Arc'teryx Atom LT hoody' Arc'teryx Atom SV hoody.

I'd be really grateful for any ideas.Thanks.
 Bee_1 09 Sep 2012
In reply to Atlas:

I have a mammut pike jacket-http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/mammut-pike-jacket/10473/p?utm_sou... I find it works really well as a mid layer and it's really warm!
 JayPee630 09 Sep 2012
In reply to Atlas:

Are you sure you want to use it UNDER a waterproof as a mid-layer? I find that they don't breathe very well, and efficiency wise, you're not really using the 2 windproof layers that the insulation is sandwiched between if it's under a waterproof.

I use various fleeces (mostly a 100 weight pull on) as an insulating mid-layer and then use synthetic insulation as a booster layer over clothes (sometimes a windproof, sometimes a waterproof, sometimes just a tshirt or fleece, weather dependent of course) when I stop, or as a hanging around layer in camp/the evening.

As for the ones you suggest, I use a Patagonia Nano puff vest when it's mild and an Arcteryx Atom SV hoody when it's cold. The Nano Puff you could use under a wind/waterproof top, but I think the Atom SV is too thick for that to be practical.
 TobyA 10 Sep 2012
In reply to JayPee630:

> Are you sure you want to use it UNDER a waterproof as a mid-layer? I find that they don't breathe very well, and efficiency wise, you're not really using the 2 windproof layers that the insulation is sandwiched between if it's under a waterproof.

I strongly agree with this too - thin synth layers do fit ok under waterproofs but I don't think they work well that way. I noted in my review of the Marmot Variant that I can get a noticeable sweat build up behind the insulated part of the jacket. Worn alone this isn't too bad and quickly move on out, but below a shell and you get damp. http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4447

I would look at a stretchy thin hooded fleece (which everyone seems to be making a version of now, after the success of the Patagonia R1 hoody) - I'm sure someone is doing a well fitted woman's version, and wear that under a shell (water proof or windproof) then get a synth jacket to wear over for belays or just on its own.
 jonnie3430 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Atlas:

There was a major difference in fit between the Nano puff hoody and Atom LT (she tried them on, not me,) so I'd suggest that you try them on and that may rule some out. The nano puff hoody is probably the one you mean? We went for the Atom LT in the end, better fit than patagonias stuff and lighter than the SV (she has another belay jacket for cold already.)
 jonnie3430 10 Sep 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

I was given a super light jacket like these this winter and it has been superb! Totally taken over from a fleece as I wear it on its own when I would normally have the fleece on (its much warmer,) and it quickly goes over a water proof if stopped, or under a water proof (more comfy,) when hanging about.
 Oceanic 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Atlas:

The OP did say that she wanted something for wearing when not 'moving too much'.

I think something like a Nano Puff could work. Worn on it's own when moving, and under a jacket in the evenings.
 RhysRolfe 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Atlas: i wouldnt dismis down as an option even when not under a hardshell its pretty dfficult to wet out and theres no beating the warmth to weight ratio but they tend to be more expensive.
my alpkit filo has been subjected to some pretty wet wether without anything catastrophic happening and the price is comparable to some high end sythetics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...