UKC

New Head Torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TheWestFace 11 Sep 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a new head torch (must be multi purpose) any ideas? also under £100 if possible!

Cheers
TWF
TheWestFace 11 Sep 2012
In reply to TheWestFace: Anyone?
 Mark Kemball 11 Sep 2012
In reply to TheWestFace: Well, I'm very happy with my Petzl Myo and Tikka (not quite as bright and AAA instead of AA batteries). http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/manufacturers/Petzl.aspx?reset=1&searchstri... My wife has the alpkit headtorch http://www.alpkit.com/gamma which is very reasonably priced and performs well.
In reply to TheWestFace: Really depends on what you wish to use it for. Some modern head torches have the addition of a red light at back of head for more safety when cycling which would not be needed when just for walking for example.
My main torch is a Petzl Myo rxp (original one) which has suited my limited needs for walking very well.
 JCurrie 11 Sep 2012
In reply to TheWestFace:
LED Lenser RX7.
VERY bright (much more so than my previous Tikka plus), variable width beam, rechargeable. Some folk question connections longevity but so far no probs with mine over past year.
Jase
 JCurrie 11 Sep 2012
In reply to TheWestFace:
Should read H7R
 iksander 11 Sep 2012
In reply to TheWestFace: Fenix HP20
TheWestFace 12 Sep 2012
In reply to Climbing Pieman: I like the look of the Myo, however how secure will it be without a strap going over the head? It will be mainly used for trail running, night walking and a bit of climbing (possibly Mountain Biking too)
In reply to TheWestFace: I have not used the over the head strap and never had any movement of the torch although my use has been limited to walking/scrambling activities. It has been very secure and I have never felt it move even using different types of hats. The over the head strap is only very small anyway and unlikely to cause any inconvenience, but I've never seen the need to use.
My only "complaint" with the Myo is the turned down end to the diffuser, when in the down position, it appears lit up due to refraction within and I find it irriating in the dark to have a spot of light just above my eyes - only noticable where I like to positon the torch on my forehead as if pushed up further it is out of the line of vision! I have over come this by painting the small end black! Otherwise great torch for what I want.
I believe the newest version has an output of some 210 lumens?
In reply to TheWestFace: Just to clarify, the over the head strap is or at least was supplied as standard.
dyfed 12 Sep 2012
In reply to TheWestFace:

LED Lenser H7R is very bright but I've heard there are issues with the hinge (it gets loose so beam begins to drop) and apparently it's not particularly waterproof.

I'd try and find one that offers regulated (constant) light if you can. I've got a Petzl Tikka XP2 with a rechargeable core battery, which is great (i.e. gives a regulated beam). Not the brightest but great design and very light, plus you can charge it from USB. If you were willingt o spend a bit more (£135) then the Petzl Nao is definitely the one to go for. Bit of a game changer, that one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...