UKC

Securing rucksac

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Fox 30 Sep 2012
Hiya,

flying to Spain for a weeks climbing shortly. Done very little previous travelling and was looking for advice for the airports.
am using my big rucksac for my main hold baggage - any suggestions on best way to secure it to prevent pilfering whilst it's out of my hands. i ask as it's been suggested that this may be a problem at many airports.
 IPPurewater 30 Sep 2012
In reply to The Fox: You can often pay to have it wrapped in a cling film like wrap at the airport. Then there are the PacSafe exo mesh type products.

I've not experienced any problems, ever.

Take everything of higher value in your hand luggage if you can.

IPP
 Simon Caldwell 30 Sep 2012
In reply to IPPurewater:
> I've not experienced any problems, ever.

Nor me. And I don't know anyone else who has either.
OP The Fox 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Toreador and IPPurewater:
> (In reply to IPPurewater)
> [...]
>
> Nor me. And I don't know anyone else who has either.

without the aid of the above methods? so probably not worth the fuss?

nniff 30 Sep 2012
In reply to The Fox:

Ditto. Those mesh things might be ok for fixing a bag to something, but they look like the staple diet for baggage conveyors to me and, once it's caught, it's going to come apart in front of some baggage handler's eyes.

Valuables on your person, always
 Simon Caldwell 30 Sep 2012
In reply to The Fox:
> without the aid of the above methods? so probably not worth the fuss?

No, the only time I've ever bothered putting it in a bag is when there are lots of loose straps, just to avoid it getting caught in something. I've never worried about it, security's so tight everywhere that I'm not sure who'd have the opportunity to nick anything. I suppose I might think differently if going somewhere in the world without so many CCTV cameras.

If you get your kit nicked, then I deny saying any of the above. My account must have been hacked.
In reply to The Fox:

I had a couple of locks forced and broken on suitcases by customs and after that stopped locking them so folk can have a look and see there's nothing of interest without breaking anything.
 martinph78 01 Oct 2012
In reply to The Fox: Another reason for securing your bag is to make sure someone hasn't put something in it (thinking drugs).

I always, always lock my bag. Security will usually ask you to open the bag if there are any concerns, I've been called over everytime when transporting tools.

Maybe put your rucksack in a large, lightweight bag which has a lockable zip for transport purposes (thinking a cheap sports bag) if weight isn't an issue. It would also keep straps safe/add extra wear resistance to your pack through the baggage handling system.

Cheese Monkey 02 Oct 2012
In reply to The Fox: Cable tie the zips. Run a small chain through any drawcords, zip tie it closed. If customs want in they can just cut the cable ties.
 GrahamD 02 Oct 2012
In reply to The Fox:

I wouldn't bother with a lock. They aren't secure if anyone is intent on opening your bag and it just causes grief when security want it opened and you lose your key.

Instead, tie the straps off with a couple of stopper knots which a) keeps them out the way b) means that it takes a few vital extra seconds to open the bag. Pack smelly underwear on top if you are still worried.
 Reach>Talent 02 Oct 2012
In reply to The Fox:
Locking bags is pretty pointless IMO, you won't make it secure and any lock just adds to the chances that it'll get damaged by airport security. Airport security are not liable for any damage to your luggage so they aren't going to waste time picking a lock if they can just rip the zip off.

Keep any small nickable items about your person or in your hand luggage. If it is small nickable and dangerous (like a multitool) then bury it in your checked in luggage.
In reply to The Fox: As others have said, a lock probably isn't that great. Tying up the drawcord is a good idea though. I also have a very light and simple large zip bag into which my rucksack fits when I'm flying. That stops it getting scuffed, stops straps snagging on the baggage belts, and I've always thought it makes nicking stuff that bit more faffy too. It's designed for this purpose, and cost about a tenner as I recall.
 Simon Caldwell 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
I always take my rucksack on as my cabin bag anyway, with a holdall in the hold. I guess I'd make an exception if I were going on a backpacking trip and didn't have anywhere to leave any other kit, so I'd need everything to be in the rucksack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...