UKC

DMM Vs. Mammutt Vs. Edelrid ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sdavies141 03 Oct 2012
Need a new single rope planning on getting the 9.5mm Mammutt, specifically as my girlfriend is just getting into climbing and is not confident with doubles, and struggles to use my 10.5mm wall rope as it is seriously well used and furry.

Saw the DMM and Edelrid as good alternatives, jsy wondered if any other gear freak out there has some views on the three / could recomend a durable yet lightish rope for trad and wall duties.

Thanks

Sam

matejn 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Sambo: Edelrid Viper!
 MikeLell 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Sambo: Last time I checked, DMM ropes were made by Mammut.
 mikekeswick 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Sambo: I've just bought a mammut rope and it handles like a dream. I'm not too genned up on their range though.
 IainWhitehouse 03 Oct 2012
In reply to MikeLell:
> (In reply to Sambo) Last time I checked, DMM ropes were made by Mammut.

You must have checked with the proverbial bloke down the pub then because DMM ropes are not made by Mammut. Guess again.
In reply to Sambo:
> if any other gear freak out there ... could recomend a durable yet lightish rope for trad and wall duties.

No. Because the concept of a durable and light wall rope is just nonsensical.

There are basically only two durable ropes for wall use on the market. They are the Mammut Gym rope and the Beal Wallmaster 6 both of which excel in what they are designed to do - at a price. In comparison, nothing else can remotely be described as durable and will get worn out relatively quickly.

As to a light trad rope, I'd recommend a Beal Booster III (9.7mm) as the most obvious choice due to its low impact force with a Mammut Infinity (9.5mm) or Beal Stinger III (9.4mm) as other good options depending if you want to go lighter.
 maybe_si 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Sambo:

i have been very impressed with the new dmm ropes. Have absolutely hammered their cheap rope (statement?) recently and its holding up nicely.

As for lightweight...... Seriously.... Who has ever noticed a weight difference between ropes when actually climbing!
 abbotsmike 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Sambo:

We have been comprehensively using (and abusing) some 10.2mm DMM missions at the uni club since march time. They are holding up well and still handle nicely.
OP sdavies141 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Sambo: Perhaps I will go for the Beal, seems a good deal at Urban Rock for £129 ..... unless any other opions out there
 hexcentric 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Sambo: DMM and Edelrid are about as good as each other I'd say.....
514ab 18 Oct 2012
In reply to hexcentric:

if looking at alternatives in the market, check out the Velocity 9.8mm by Sterling - could be more expensive but well worth the investment
 AdCo82 18 Oct 2012
In reply to hexcentric:

That's a coincidence as the DMM ropes are apparently made in Germany near to the Edelrid factory

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...