UKC

High Cup Nick - North Pennines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ethan Thomas 13 Oct 2012
Has anyone ever climbed here? I know a lot of it is loose rock, but I seen some routes on it in a guidebook, but despite having been there a countless amount of times, I've never seen any climber or heard of anyone who's climbed there.
 Russell Lovett 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Ethan Thomas: Was there myself last month and was wondering the same thing myself.
Yrmenlaf 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Russell Lovett:

I'd heard of some winter routes there. The FRCC is silent:

http://www.frcc.co.uk/crags.asp?guide_id=20&crag_id=410

Y.
Yrmenlaf 13 Oct 2012
 mp3ferret 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Ethan Thomas:

It'd be quite a walk in to what looks like (but I've never actually climbed) quite short, dirty, loose routes.

In reply to Ethan Thomas: Actually there's a few routes in the new FRCC Eden Valley & South Lakes Limestone guide and myself and John Campbell did another two up there years ago to the right of those in the guide. I couldn't remember exactly where they went and couldn't be bothered to walk back up there to find out, which gives an indication of how good they were. I suspect others have probably done the same over the years.
OP Ethan Thomas 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Ethan Thomas: Thanks for all the info everyone. Kind of as I thought. A while ago I saw a decent looking route there that stood out, but the rest looks a bit sketchy. Will probably have a go at some point anyway.
 simondgee 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Ethan Thomas:
FYI...from the the new guide ...HCN is one of only 3 locations in England for alpine saxifrage and 'gardening' should not take place...
 Needle Sports 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Ethan Thomas: One of ours took a line up a pinnacle via chimney and the other climbed the wall to its left. Both were around VS 4b I think and rather worrying. If you search around in the heather you might find the short length of scaffolding pole we banged in as an anchor.

Stephen Reid (at work)
 mikekeswick 16 Oct 2012
In reply to Ethan Thomas: I've looked up there but in my opion it's not worth bothering. Now the wall to the side of high force........
In reply to Yrmenlaf: There's a couple of winter lines recorded at High Cup in the Cicerone/FRCC Lake District winter guide. I did the FA (or more likely first recorded ascent) of one, while a friend was doing the other. They're nice enough - but it's a long walk-in for 30m of scratching around
OP Ethan Thomas 16 Oct 2012
In reply to mikekeswick: Have not been to High Force yet, that's interesting.
 PATTISON Bill 19 Oct 2012
In reply to Ethan Thomas: Did afew routes there about 50 years ago including the pinnacle,always thought a girdle taverse would be interesting but as we had to walk from and to High Force and a very infrequent bus service never had enough time .Great fun in a good winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...