UKC

Ropeman 2, Krab?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stujamo 18 Oct 2012
Apologies if this has been recently discussed,or if it's blindingly obvious,but I have to ask.Would I be right in thinking that the correct krab for attaching to the Ropeman should have a round profile,as opposed to an I-beam type krab?
Not bought or used one yet,so haven't read any user instructions,
Thanks in advance,
Stu
 skunky456 18 Oct 2012
In reply to stujamo: If its a ropeman 1 or 2 then any biner will do. If its an RM 3 then an oval or pear shaped biner is needed cos of the wide clip in hole. I- beam or solid round profile makes little difference to strength and both are fine, although solid round profile ones stand up better to long term heavy abuse. Hope that helps
OP stujamo 18 Oct 2012
In reply to skunky456: Thanks for that, but I think I may have been unclear.I was referring to the construction of the biner rather than the shape/type of it.
I was thinking that an I- beam biner maybe wouldn't hold a skinnier rope as tight to the cam in the way that a round sectioned biner would
 OwenM 18 Oct 2012
In reply to stujamo: It shouldn't make any difference which crab you use, the crab just holds the two halves together. The rope is held between the cam and the frame.
OP stujamo 18 Oct 2012
In reply to OwenM: Cheers Owen.Have just watched Steve Long's "how to" on the ropeman,and I see what you mean where a RM3 is used,but on the earlier 2 models it appears that the cam is held against the rope by a krab,if I'm right in this,the question still stands?
Thanks,
Stu
 Monk 18 Oct 2012
In reply to stujamo:
> (In reply to OwenM) Cheers Owen.Have just watched Steve Long's "how to" on the ropeman,and I see what you mean where a RM3 is used,but on the earlier 2 models it appears that the cam is held against the rope by a krab,if I'm right in this,the question still stands?
> Thanks,
> Stu

I'm pretty sure my Ropeman 2 pushes the rope up against the krab, so I think that you may have a point. I've never considered it before, as I would normally use it in conjunction with one of my older krabs rather than the newer I-beam designs.
OP stujamo 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Monk: Cheers Monk,that's really what I was getting at.I've only seen the RM2 sold with a rounded section biner (where sold together) and this gave rise to my question.Something to think about (or research further) as I sit here recovering,
Thanks again,
Stu
P.s,any more views would be happily received.
 Timmd 18 Oct 2012
In reply to stujamo:

All ropemen press the rope against the 'biner I think? I'd go for a round section 'biner.

SFM 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Timmd:

The Ropeman 3 doesn't, the krab hole is separated from the cam action which jams the rope up against the frame of the device.

http://static.desnivel.com/images/2011/04/29/ropeman-3_synergy_lite_v2-_1.j...

In reply to the op:
I'd only ever use a round profile or "fat" krab in a ropeman 1 or 2, just to make sure there is no possibility of it not working.
 SFM 18 Oct 2012
In reply to SFM:

ps have experimented with a skinny krab and not convinced that it works well enough for me to trust it.
 SFM 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Timmd:

This image better illustrates what I'm trying to say!

http://www.vertige-montagne.com/1858-large/ropeman-3.jpg
OP stujamo 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Timmd: Hi Tim,the RM3 is designed differently from the other 2 and the biner doesn't come into contact with the rope.It's design allows it to be used on slings also.But as far as the shape of biners being used on RM1/2,the WC website isn't really clear,but they are always shown (so far as I've seen) in conjunction with a round profile biner,
Thanks for your help,
Stu
 OwenM 18 Oct 2012
In reply to stujamo:
> (In reply to OwenM) Cheers Owen.Have just watched Steve Long's "how to" on the ropeman,and I see what you mean where a RM3 is used,but on the earlier 2 models it appears that the cam is held against the rope by a krab,if I'm right in this,the question still stands?
> Thanks,
> Stu

I use a RM2, just had a play with it, still worked using a key-ring crab so your I-beam crab should be fine.

SFM 18 Oct 2012
In reply to OwenM:

Did you hang your weight on it or just stick a rope in it and see if it jams? Also what thickness or rope was it?
OP stujamo 18 Oct 2012
In reply to SFM: Thanks for that,it appears pretty clear to me now that a "fat" krab is the way to go with a 1 or a 2.
Well cleared up,and a decent illustration of a RM3 and where the rope runs through it,as I originally thought,
Cheers,
Stu
OP stujamo 18 Oct 2012
In reply to stujamo:
> (In reply to Monk) Cheers Monk,that's really what I was getting at.I've only seen the RM2 sold with a rounded section biner (where sold together) and this gave rise to my question.Something to think about (or research further) as I sit here recovering,
> Thanks again,
> Stu
> P.s,any more views would be happily received.

BTW,I'n not recovering from a ropeman-related injury!
:O)
 Wild Country 18 Oct 2012
In reply to stujamo: To be clear the Ropeman 1 and 2 work the same way and the rope in both cases is clamped between the cam and the karabiner. However, as you have noted biners have many profiles and it looks like these may alter the ability of the device to grip but overall the difference is minimal and essentially the Ropeman 1 and 2 have been designed so that they will work with any karabiner profile.
The only thing we would possibly say is that carrying a round bar karabiner is may be a better bet overall as it would allow more leeway if you were in an emergency situation when you wanted to use the device outside it's stated range of use - say on a 7mm rope or something.
The Ropeman 3 is different and the rope is clamped between the cam and an alloy sleeve within which sits the karabiner. The profile of this sleeve makes an HMS shape the best suited to use with it but again many biners will work.
OP stujamo 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Richie Patterson, Wild Country: Hi Richie,
Thanks for the definitive answer to my question, I had suspected that this was the case,but I'm grateful for the information you've added to the thread.
Thanks again,
Stu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...