UKC

rock climbing feed back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stebastian 19 Oct 2012
> I have taken a big interest in rock climbing. however my parents have informed me that they want a few questions answered on thier behalf.
>
> what does rock climbing involve ?
>
> what equipment is needed and what is provided ?
>
> what are the differen organisations were i can perform rock climbing ?
>
> what personal skilss will need to work on (thats on my behalf)?
>
> what safety factors relate to rock climbing ?
>
> many thanks if you could help me and please get back to me as soon as possible
>
> take care
>
yourse sincerely
steven salazar
 Skip 19 Oct 2012
In reply to stebastian:

Tricky to answer this, depends on what you intend to do. Probably best to start at a climbing wall and/or a local climbing club. This way you will get an idea of whether it's for you, what type of climbing you want to do etc. This will also give you any idea of what equipment you need, introduce you to safety factors, and you'll have more idea on what personal skills you need.
 Sl@te Head 19 Oct 2012
In reply to stebastian: Sounds like a BTEC or GCSE assignment to me...apologies if I'm wrong!
 Jonny2vests 19 Oct 2012
In reply to stebastian:

Thats a pretty broad set of questions. I would suggest buying a good book.
 EeeByGum 22 Oct 2012
In reply to stebastian: I'll have a go

> what does rock climbing involve ?
Climbing rocks.

> what equipment is needed and what is provided ?
You need rock boots, harness, rope and gear. Nothing is provided unless you are climbing indoors, or with an organisation where you can sometimes hire your equipment.

> what are the differen organisations were i can perform rock climbing ?
You local climbing wall will offer taster sessions. After that you can go on a course, join a club or just turn up, engage common sense and give it a go. (I don't recommend that last option if you are wondering what I mean by common sense)

> what personal skilss will need to work on (thats on my behalf)?
There are lots of exercises you can do that help, but at the end of the day, climbing is what it is really about. Just do it.

> what safety factors relate to rock climbing ?
Obviously falling off is bad, but worse than that is hitting the ground. In order to reduce the likelihood of falling off, try not to let go.

Google "How to climb" and go to your local library and get some "How to Climb" books out. Devour them, then go to your wall and go on a taster session and see what happens.

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...